about WolfQuest 3!

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
tumblr.
YouTube
Wikia / Fandom

Design Challenge! The First 15 Minutes

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: paperpaws, Koa

Re: Design Challenge! The First 15 Minutes

Postby Myia » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:28 pm

ok, after going though everyone's wonderful ideas, here's the best I got.

a new player signs on for the first time and goes to single player mode. they design their wolf and click continue. (or whatever the start button is at this point in time) the game opens with a short cinematic of your character looking to the rest of their pack as it waits for the right moment. when such a moment arrives, it will walk to its alpha (or mother) and the two share a sorrowful moment as both wolves know that you must leave. then we see your wolf running to stand in the spawn space of Amethyst Mountain, shadow casting over the terrain as it faces south west, the rising sun high in the sky behind it as the camera completes a sweep of the wolf before resuming the natural position behind it. in the player's view, a grey wolf is sitting idle (possibly scratching an ear) your character will look around before handing control to the player. a speech bubble pops up over the wolf's head, telling the player to click on it. once the player completes this action, they are rewarded with a pop up detailing how to move. (and maybe some other information if you see it fit) when the player is done reading, the grey wolf will tell you to follow it and we head into the forest to learn how to hunt. of course, the player has the option to not follow the wolf and just do the mission like normal. (this can be done by one of two ways: a pop up appearing when the player stands in a certain spot, a spot that can be highlighted when the player is a certain distance away from the wolf, asking if the player wishes to continue to the mission. or by just having the mission active and completable while the tutorial is still active.) after the tracking and hunting lesson, the wolf will explain anything still relevant and end with telling the player that, if they do not wish to see this tutorial again, press the Esc key (or whichever key the menu is binded to at this point) and go to game settings to uncheck 'play tutorial'. to avoid the player unchecking the ever so helpful 'show tutorials' button, maybe change the name to 'show hints' (or 'show tips'). this will also teach the player how to exit and save, given that they will see the buttons when they pull up the menu. then, depending on how the mission starts, the wolf will either guide them to the mission start point or the 'begin quest' pop up will appear, sending you back to the spawn at which point the wolf will disappear.

the 'show tutorials' function (which will be 'show hints' or 'show tips' now) will function just as it did before, periodically popping up with information about resting and sleeping/time cycle and the emotes.

up above the character portrait in the top left, will also be a panel similar to the one that resides up there today saying: 'press ? to display useable keys' pressing ? will show the standard WolfQuest tutorial panel we have now, detailing the rest, sleep, bite, move, map keys, etc.

if by some rare chance, the player is a rebel and decides to head to multiplayer first, the grey wolf will appear in the game server and tell the player to click on them. doing this will result in the same how to move pop up. the wolf will then say "if you ever need help, just click me." then the wolf will follow the player around for the rest of the game. clicking on the wolf will result in a pop up stating 'tell me about...' typing a function into this will provide an explanation or a tutorial depending on what the player typed. this includes game related issues, maybe what some abbreviations mean, and, of course, a definition of rp and 'desc' or 'describe' since I'm sure this is what trips a lot of newbies up on multiplayer. if you type something in not found in the wolf's database, it will reply something like "I'm sorry, I don't know what that is". if the player makes a typo, a pop up will appear asking if they meant something that sounds really similar. (since I'm sure getting an 'I don't know what this is' message over a typo peeves a lot of players off. [looking at you, Fallout] lol) clicking the 'yes' button results in the explanation for the suggested item appearing, while clicking 'no' results in an 'I don't know what this is' message. if something not allowed in the chat box is typed, or a recognised attempt at severely bypassing the chatbox is typed, a message pops up saying, 'you are not allowed to say this on WolfQuest. please report this player!' I'm talking mainly about attempts at swearing or sexual references. the wolf will proceed to follow the player around the server until the server is disconnected/closed. if the server has been online for more than 15 minutes, the wolf will be gone next game. otherwise, if the server was closed before 15 minutes of the player entering, or the player exits before this point, the wolf will follow the player into the next game. however, the second time, the wolf will not explain how to move unless the server was closed or the player exited in under a minute.

that's about it from me. looking forward to the updated game!!
Myia
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby Wolvesarelife994 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:48 am

Wait a second, if you asking us for the first 15 min of the game, does that mean wolfquest will be coming out sooner than we all thought?? :mrgreen: :wolf:
Wolvesarelife994
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby tatd_2217 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:39 am

I like a lot of peoples ideas about a video in the beginning.
I think that 15 minutes would be a little too long of a time for an introduction though.
A quick video of your wolves "overview" from the beginning to where you are now would be fun to watch with pop up tips/hints during the video. Finding out how to move, lay down/sleep, eat, use emotes, etc.
Being able to turn off the tutorial would be a plus too, rewatching every time you make a new wolf would get very annoying after a while.
I'm really looking forward to the release of the game! :D
tatd_2217
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Name: Taylor

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Postby Deilyn-camila » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:55 am

hey

at the beginning of the slough creek pack, the pups ones will be born and just before the hunter's quest the pups ones will be able to nurse their mother then little by little they grow up i think that it will make him realistic kiss wolfquest :wolf: :D
Deilyn-camila
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby Piggyfiggy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:37 am

You could start out with a little clip of you as a yearling wolf with your packmates, and then it will look something like a multiplayer game and your pack will locate and kill some elk. You will help out, and maybe your mom wolf will instruct you a little bit in chat or growl at you when you do something wrong, or do something else to instruct you. Then your wolf pack may run into another wolf pack and you can fight or talk to those wolves for a little bit. Then you return home and your mom has bunch of puppies at home, that part will be a clip. Then you hear the howl of a wolf in the distance, and you turn and leave in the direction of the howl. Because you want to start your own pack.

When you enter the map for the first time, you should have a clip where you walk into the map, and maybe there are very old scent trails from a dispersal wolf, and then you start your search for a mate and practicing hunting on your own.

If you wanted to stick with this theme of having a bit of a story behind your wolf, then when transitioning to different maps you could have a little clip. Like when you are going to Slough Creek you could have a clip of you and your mate noticing the first snowfall, and you could then notice a little ways away a very small pack of wolves that are far enough away that you don't feel like bothering them walking with their yearling pups. You play with your mate for a second, and then you wander into the map, to find a den so you can start you pack.

For Towerfalls, you could be standing in the woods with your puppies, and then well it really depends on the gameplay. But if you are going to be quickly confronted by other wolves, maybe you can spot them and then the wolves can act a little anxious. If it's mainly about hunting, maybe you spot an elk herd, and then you lead your puppies towards it. If it is mainly about traveling, you can be leading your puppies, and you can stop in front of the waterfall, and then it would cut out of the clip and the game would start.

In the future, maybe you can even get a random generation for different early cut scenes. Like how many sibbling wolves you have, or what you are hunting (The hunting will be more like the game, but your mom kind of instructs you a bit), or if you get attacked by any predators that you mom needs to chase off. Maybe if you wanted, you could also have a cut scene from when you were little puppies, and you could practice hunting frogs or rabbits in order to get the hang of finding your own prey, and then your mom wolf would have to go get you because you wandered away from the den. You could be attacked by a coyote or something that you mom wolf defeats.

I'm just brainstorming here, but I do want my wolf to have more of a backstory, instead of just showing up and starting. I also think it would be neat if you learned things from your mom wolf or dad wolf.
Piggyfiggy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Name: Bunnyluv

Postby Phasoli » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Playing as a pup is something that I've always wanted as well, but as far as an intro goes, I think a nice cut-scene or two would be nice. An active guide like a parent or pack-mate sounds good too, but I actually enjoyed learning things for myself as a new player. It added an exciting element of discovery. To me, it would really feel as though you're a freshly dispersed young wolf who's tackling the wild alone for the first time. Again, drawing off of my experiences in playing the game for the first time, the little pointers on how to view the controls helped me learn the game adequately enough. Starting with something subtle like a hare to play with, or an encounter with a weak elk/coyote should be enough to draw the player's attention beyond the basic controls and into the game's world of living and hunting as a wolf. Little tips here and there alongside the initiation of some little side quests should make for an adequate first fifteen minutes. In my opinion, subtlety is all that those precious minutes need.
Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Name: Call me Tsuri!

Postby sophiaww » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Wolvesarelife994 wrote:Wait a second, if you asking us for the first 15 min of the game, does that mean wolfquest will be coming out sooner than we all thought?? :mrgreen: :wolf:

!!!!you may actually may be right because why would they ask us what the first 15 minutes of WolfQuest should be when they barely started!! :wolf:
sophiaww
Pup
Pup

Postby Wolvesarelife994 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:33 pm

sophiaww wrote:
Wolvesarelife994 wrote:Wait a second, if you asking us for the first 15 min of the game, does that mean wolfquest will be coming out sooner than we all thought?? :mrgreen: :wolf:

!!!!you may actually may be right because why would they ask us what the first 15 minutes of WolfQuest should be when they barely started!! :wolf:

I know! I wonder why they would be asking it then? Im getting even more excited than i was!!!!!!!! :wolf: :wolf:
Wolvesarelife994
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby paperpaws » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:15 am

Try to not let the hype get the better of you; there is still no estimated timeframe of release that is more specific than "sometime in 2018". Depending on the decisions made based on all the suggestions in here, development surrounding the first 15 minutes of gameplay could take quite some time and effort! We all love seeing and participating in the excitement, but let's not get each other's hopes up for now ;)
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Postby Wolvencall » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:12 pm

I think a good idea would be keeping it oriented to being the end of the summer before your wolf disperses and you're involved in a hunt with your familial pack and a bit of play after learning how to take down an elk with your pack and learning how to navigate the basics one evening your wolf could hear a distant howl of a pair of wolves of the opposite gender (Tribute to 755 & his brother there;) A pop-up could show that you feel the pull of autumn; the time to look for a mate and you follow the howls. at first following the direction of the sound and then eventually picking up a scent while looking around for awhile before meeting the pair of wolves and getting a tutorial on how to attract a mate (At least not giving away the true formula) but low and behold their pack is nearby and they chase you off; preventing you from running off into the sunset with the wolf of your dreams.... at least for now if your wolf sticks around the area building up exp and following the pack or will they wander off in search of another mate?
Last edited by Wolvencall on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Name: Maddie

Postby Salty610 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Drop you into the pack with your father the alpha leading you on a hunt with your siblings. The tutorial ends with you fighting off a grizzly from your kill
Salty610
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby PearlyReborn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:40 pm

I think the prologue should have your wolf as about a year old, and you're learning the ropes with your birth pack when it comes to hunting and controls rather than teaching you through popups. It can be a good way to ease new players into learn the myriad keyboard commands and also give them a taste of the game.
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Name: Meg

Postby Figero11 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:31 pm

I believe the beginning should start with controls (Duh)(Basics: Moving, Howling, ) Your next quest is to find food because you're hungry. There could be a scripted herd you have to track down. Also maybe you shouldn't be able to wander out of the tutorial area until you complete the tasks. It tells you how to hunt elk, which ones are the weaker ones, and wind directions. Maybe your vision would lock onto a weak elk and the game will say something like "This elk looks hurt" Or "This elk is limping, its health is low" And it tells you how to kill it. Once you kill your first elk and eat from it coyotes come and hassle you. This could also be a good opportunity to teach the player how to carry food so they can eat it elsewhere, unbothered. Finally, the game can tell you about the emotes when you get far enough away. Should you encounter any other creature that requires explaining then a pop-up would tell you about it, Ex: "This is a mule deer, they are fast, but their attacks are mild *More facts that would help you hunt*" but besides that it lets you run free and explore, while being mindful of your current objective. This could all occur with your birthpack if the time is put in to program them, if this does happen then it could end with a rally with your pack, and then a Fast-forward screen like "One year later" And it's a cinematic shot of your wolf on a cliff or hunting something. Then your quest pops up "Find a mate" and you're on your own. If the birthpack is not added then all of this could simply happen on your own.
Last edited by Figero11 on Sat May 05, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Figero11
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby Wandervenn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:04 am

I know a lot of the wolf packs featured currently are no longer around, what about something related to that?

What about a scenario where it's your first time really on the hunt with the last few members of your pack, or even just a single packmate or parent. Hungry and on your own your pack(plural) or packmate(single) try one last grab at food. Perhaps you're first required to catch something small like a rabbit to teach you just the basics, maybe under the guise of giving a weaker packmate something small to help them on their feet. Upon completing that and possibly other small survival tasks (I saw thirst was going to be a thing) you're prompted to go after something larger, something more sustainable to two (or more) starving wolves. This teaches you how to properly track and hunt larger herd animals and having a packmate could make it a bit easier for your first time gameplay-wise. Upon accomplishing this goal tragedy strikes!

I'm thinking either your packmate gets too injured by the prey you've hunted or a larger predator (or maybe other wolves?) that come to steal your kill. Perhaps instead of deer or elk, you've been forced to hunt cattle in desperation, and a rancher shoots your packmate. Or even maybe a storm strikes a tree and starts a fire, causing you to separate from them. Either way, forced to flee you find yourself in the beginning of the game. A young, lone wolf with no pack... but at least you've recently gotten some food and drink in your belly.

I feel like starting out with a packmate gives you a great chance to learn basic survival as well as exploring the new social arena and easing you into hunting with a companion (also giving you some experience for later when you find your mate). This could help give the game a bit of a hook and stays fairly realistic to what happens to real wolf packs without forcing a specific narrative onto you.

However, I'd like to hope that as players learn controls on their own, they wont have to sit through any tutorials if they dont want to, allowing them to skip directly to being on their own.

And not to push you guys to be so ambitious that you never finish, but perhaps it could even be possible to script multiple beginnings if a few "First 15's" strike your fancy. This could make games feel a tad more fresh and open up inspiration for players to make their own personal cannons for their wolves. I think one of the major downfalls of wildlife simulator games is that it does come down to just hunt after hunt after hunt. I wouldnt want to get rid of the realism, but I wouldnt mind more random, semi-scripted, random events. Stuff to break up the constant hunt after hunt.
Wandervenn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby Invar » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:48 am

Salty610 wrote:Drop you into the pack with your father the alpha leading you on a hunt with your siblings. The tutorial ends with you fighting off a grizzly from your kill

Just this. You get some messages like 'Mother is telling you to come with the pack, infographic of the movement controls' and so on, telling you how to do the stuff that your packmates are doing.

I think there's a hope that eventually one will be able to raise pups to adulthood and have a little pack of your own of varying age adult offspring who behave pretty naturally and usefully and you can continue season after season, raising pups with the help of a pack. If that's in the works, then the tutorial of living in a pack could allow you to choose not to disperse. Or disperse in a more naturalistic sort of way -- you live with your pack but meet an interesting dispersal wolf while you're off exploring on your own, or you explore on your own for too long and when you come back your parents go, "Grr, you wanted to move out, then move," or you're off exploring with your sister and she meets an NPC dispersal and you tag along for a while but her new mate keeps attacking you so you drift away from them, or one of your parents dies and the whole pack disperses. So you could have a game with two types of pack play -- one where you're a youngster in a pack (and most of the NPC wolves won't follow you unless you run up to them and whine and head off, and come back and whine, etc, to convince them to) and another where you've built your own pack and your NPC packmembers will almost always follow you unless you tell them to stay put.
Invar
Pup
Pup

PreviousNext

Return to WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog