about WolfQuest 3!

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
tumblr.
YouTube
Wikia / Fandom

Cleverer Coyotes

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: paperpaws, Koa

Re: Cleverer Coyotes

Postby CapriciousCeilican » Sun May 13, 2018 12:14 am

I think it looks more like a canter than a sprint in that video, considering the legs don't extend out far enough. Cantering is a bit more bouncy than sprinting, and the tail naturally bobs as the back undulates with the movement of the legs. c:
I looked around, and this was the best I could find for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qV5pdO_X8U
CapriciousCeilican
Pup
Pup

Postby Polynesia » Sun May 13, 2018 1:21 pm

CapriciousCeilican wrote:I think it looks more like a canter than a sprint in that video, considering the legs don't extend out far enough. Cantering is a bit more bouncy than sprinting, and the tail naturally bobs as the back undulates with the movement of the legs. c:
I looked around, and this was the best I could find for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qV5pdO_X8U

That makes a lot more sense, thanks. :)

If that is the case though, maybe they should have a sprint function by double tapping the forward arrow key. Wolves like to run down the elk over a long distance, but then sprint at their full speed when the gap starts to close. It would be so fun to do that in the game!
Polynesia
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby Noctis_ » Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 am

Polynesia wrote:
CapriciousCeilican wrote:I think it looks more like a canter than a sprint in that video, considering the legs don't extend out far enough. Cantering is a bit more bouncy than sprinting, and the tail naturally bobs as the back undulates with the movement of the legs. c:

If that is the case though, maybe they should have a sprint function by double tapping the forward arrow key. Wolves like to run down the elk over a long distance, but then sprint at their full speed when the gap starts to close. It would be so fun to do that in the game!

I agree, having more gaits would be nice. A walk, trot, and run, or something along those lines. In one animal game I play, pressing Z will switch between a walk and trot gait, while holding shift sprints.
Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Postby Phasoli » Mon May 14, 2018 4:09 am

Noctis_ wrote:I agree, having more gaits would be nice. A walk, trot, and run, or something along those lines. In one animal game I play, pressing Z will switch between a walk and trot gait, while holding shift sprints.

That animal game wouldn't happen to be called Cereal Soup, would it?

I'm not one to be particularly fussy about animation cycles. To me, regardless, that new wolf model really rocks that motion, and so do the coyotes around it. It's not quite finished yet, I'm sure, so perhaps in a future update, we'll really see that run cycle to its fullest. Since nothing is set in stone yet, I'm sure that this video doesn't reflect any of the models' finished animations, but don't quote me on that. ;)
Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Name: Call me Tsuri!

Postby Polynesia » Thu May 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Polynesia wrote:

I wanted to say that double tapping actually would not work because it forces your wolf to stop. Maybe holding shift or toggle with Q would be okay though. :)
Polynesia
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby Nuntayak » Mon May 28, 2018 9:42 pm

HUGE fan of coyotes (though my wolf Nuntayak disagrees with me on that), so I absolutely love the new update.
Nuntayak
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby Invar » Mon May 28, 2018 11:00 pm

We need a tiny minority of coyotes who will respond to a play-bow and have a romp.
Invar
Pup
Pup

Postby 2wolf22 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:05 am

this sounds great! I watched the video earlier and realized how realistic the system is. Hopefully their bite doesn't give too much damage to our wolves! :)
2wolf22
Pup
Pup

Postby Nuntayak » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Invar wrote:We need a tiny minority of coyotes who will respond to a play-bow and have a romp.

Awww would love that!
Nuntayak
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Previous

Return to WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog