about WolfQuest 3!

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
tumblr.
YouTube
Wikia / Fandom

Cleverer Coyotes

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: paperpaws, Koa

Re: Cleverer Coyotes

Postby SimplyGreenflower » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Oh, this will be fun...but also will make them more dangerous to pups...but I am ready for them.

But...not all coyotes run away from a carcass in the current game (or maybe that was in one of the older versions). I remember eating at a carcass and coyotes would be moving around, occasionally darting in then running away. That one line in the video kind of got to me because I know some coyotes do still hang around.
SimplyGreenflower
Pup
Pup

Postby Alakaru_1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm glad coyotes will be faster and more annoying haha, they'll be fun to deal with in-game. :p
Alakaru_1
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Name: Mia/Momo

Postby Shilach » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:58 pm

Hey, I don't wanna be rude or annoying or anything, but do you think the new game would be out by April? i'm sorry for asking; I'm the most impatient person ever xD
Shilach
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby Frodo1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:39 am

Shilach wrote:Hey, I don't wanna be rude or annoying or anything, but do you think the new game would be out by April? i'm sorry for asking; I'm the most impatient person ever xD

There's currently no set release date for WQ3. The most recent info we have is this.
Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Name: Frodo/Jay

Cleverer Coyotes

Postby Tamashiii » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 pm

The wolf design looks amazing! I'm especially looking forward to the new herding AI.
Tamashiii
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Name: Tanstall

Postby Paige3138 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Yay, new coyotes! The new AI system will be great! Only, I have a few questions still, one of them is about online games. Is it confirmed yet rather you will be forced to split the servers or not? And if so will there still be a way to contact them? The other question is if there will we still be able to kill coyotes? Even though its constant, wolves killing coyotes isn't unheard of.
Paige3138
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby chickiefoo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Bit late to this post, but will the grizzly bear get an update as well?
chickiefoo
Yearling
Yearling

Postby PearlyReborn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:35 pm

Oh, this looks so good! Finally coyotes will pose more of a threat. It always rubbed me the wrong way that they couldn't attack you.
Last edited by PearlyReborn on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Name: Meg

Postby WolfDragonPlasma » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Oh goody...Coyotes are gonna be even more annoying than they are now XDD
This'll definitely make defending your pups from them just that much harder, especially if they're as insistent as they are currently about getting to your pups.

At least they look much nicer and more realistic now, so that's a plus XD
WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Postby 96Heartz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:22 am

Well now I want to play a coyote in the game x) They're so cute !
SInce they're faster and seem harder to catch, will the achievements for killing coyotes be adapted ?
96Heartz
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby Koa » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:23 pm

chickiefoo wrote:Bit late to this post, but will the grizzly bear get an update as well?

Grizzly bears will receive a new model; I am not sure what specific plans Dave has in regards to improving grizzly bear AI but I assume it will be updated, as well.
loboLoco wrote:We've got a new and improved grizzly model, and a cub, in the works.

viewtopic.php?p=2513108#p2513108
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Postby sophiaww » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:47 am

That is so cool! Will the coyotes attack the pups now that they can fight back and that they're teens? Also I have a small bag of coyote molers for my science fair project. Keep up the good work WolfQuest :wolf:
sophiaww
Pup
Pup

Postby Wolvencall » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:32 am

I can't wait to see the new grizzly and cub!! There will be two cubs for the sow right? Since they typically come in pairs? This game is turning out to look like graphics from the new game the hunt when I look back at the models it's so realistic its amazing!!!!
Wolvencall
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Name: Maddie

Postby Flamesky » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 pm

In Wolfquest 2.5, if your wolf attacked a coyote you would lose a small amount of health. Also, if you came within biting range of one in SP with a mate, the mate would chase after the coyote and kill it. In 2.7, you can attack coyotes without losing any health, but your mate will not help you. I'm curious as to if this behavior will return in WQ 3 now that the coyotes are smarter. Will your mate help you out with killing the coyotes, or are you on your own?
Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Postby Polynesia » Sat May 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Coming back to this thread, I think the wolf's running animation from an earlier video (Ride of the Wapiti) was better than this one. The wolf's running gait in this video (Cleverer Coyotes) seems awfully bouncy and juvenile, like watching a labrador puppy run. The tail flapping up and down isn't the most aesthetic either.

I really don't mean to sound overly critical, I just think that you guys really nailed the first animation - in the Wapiti video - before you changed it. It was very realistic, and closely resembled the wolves running in this video. (This is a really great reference video because the wolves have no obstacles to avoid.) The new animation, to me, seems a bit "gamey." I don't see a big resemblance between it and the real-life wolves.

I'm not an expert on wolves, but using the video above as a real-life comparison, here are the biggest points I noticed:

- In WolfQuest, the wolf's spine curves up and down in a wave-like motion very noticeably. I think the fluidity and depth of the curve should be toned down. It always stands out to me because it's a very cat-like feature, since cats have flexible spines and very large strides as a result. Wolves' backs often stay relatively rigid when they run, and don't curve as much when they do.

- The tail normally stays in a static position when the wolf runs, rather than flapping up and down. This isn't exclusive to canines but applies to a whole lot of animals. It's just how physics works.

Both of the points above are what I think makes the gait look "bouncy" and "juvenile", and unrealistic in general. But after saying this, the walking and trotting animations look really nice. :)
Polynesia
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog