Vote for a New Animal!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Which animal would you most like to see added to WolfQuest 3?

Bighorn sheep
44%
Pronghorn
18%
Black bear
3%
Bobcat
14%
Porcupine
22%

Total votes: 291

96Heartz
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Eliøs, Skøll

Re: Vote for a New Animal!

Post by 96Heartz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:07 am

I hesitated between the bighorn and the pronghorn, and I would have liked to vote for both, since the bighorn would be an interesting challenge and an animal that we could find in mountains (like a lot of people already said). But the pronghorn isn't very known, and that's a good point because people could learn a bit more about it (or at least learn its existence !).
I also like the idea of the porcupine, it's something very different from what we have in the game for now, a bit like the toad.

Medenagen
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Medenagen » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:34 am

That is a very, very hard choice.

I went with pronghorn because they are quite the different critter and live some impressive lives of migration... and they're crazy-fast when they want to run so would be a heck of a challenge to interact with in-game.

Although I DO like the thoughts about Porcupines as well. They would be a completely different kind of a challenge for interaction. lol Slower critter with crazy defenses, but not impossible to have a meal out of it. Although quills can have a delayed reaction that can kill whatever tried for it...just the right quill in the right spot that doesn't get pulled sure can work its way in to do the damage. Would that be considered when making them up?

(Really just want all the listed animals and hope they can be added at some point or another as the game is created... lol)

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:16 am

It's too bad wolf isn't one of the options. I'd vote for that one if it was.

Medenagen
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Medenagen » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:31 pm

It's too bad pangolin isn't one of the options. I'd vote for that one if it was.
(Well, to be fair, pangolins don't live in the location the game is set in, so it wouldn't really make all that much sense to have them.)

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:16 pm

I voted black bear, only to find that the fewest number of people also did so. I'd really enjoy watching black bears interact with the world. Oh well- bighorn sheep are cool, too.

thirteen889184
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by thirteen889184 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:31 pm

I voted for Bighorn Sheep, but I also considered the Pronghorn. I'm from the area and I see both frequently, but ultimately I decided to vote for Bighorns because I thought that they would be most interesting of the two.

I'd honestly like to see all of them, lol, but for now, the Bighorn Sheep is my top pick.

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:10 pm

April 13, 2018: And we have a WINNER!! Bighorn sheep win by a landslide. Thank everyone for voting!

We will keep the poll open because who knows, maybe we will be able to add some of the runner-ups someday.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

DawnWings
Pup
Pup

Post by DawnWings » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Bighorn sheep was my first choice, but I didn't vote that because I know it's already been decided they will be in the game. So, I voted pronghorn because I think they would be a hard challenge because they are North America's fastest land animal at 55 mph. I assume they would require an ambush tactic, with one or more wolves in hiding downwind and the other(s) driving them that direction, or a fast wolf with very high stamina.

I also think it would be thrilling to see them run.

Nuntayak
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Nuntayak » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Bighorns should be a fun critter to hunt. As a runner up, voted for porcupine because of the challenge they'd present.

Star_The_Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Star_The_Wolf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Ahhhh! I want them all!!! But young wolves love to hunt pronghorn calves, so I voted for that.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 pm

This is somewhat random, and I have nothing against porcupines, but why are so many people voting for them? It's right there in second place. :lol: Once more, that's not a complaint - I like porcupines with the rest of you. But I find it oddly popular. It would be fun and unique to see them (I don't know any games with porcupines in them) in WolfQuest, but what gameplay would it enhance? I suppose getting poked could be fun. :)

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Mwitu wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 pm
This is somewhat random, and I have nothing against porcupines, but why are so many people voting for them? It's right there in second place. :lol: Once more, that's not a complaint - I like porcupines with the rest of you. But I find it oddly popular. It would be fun and unique to see them (I don't know any games with porcupines in them) in WolfQuest, but what gameplay would it enhance? I suppose getting poked could be fun. :)
I think it's a little odd how the porcupine is the 2nd most popular vote too.. to be honest, the porcupines are sort of like toads (which haven't been mentioned in quite some time). Porcupines are slow and relatively small critters. I'm not sure how WQ wolves would ''nudge'' a porcupine or play around with it. A porcupine is too slow to really interact with the player. Would WQ wolves have a nose full of quills if they poked it (potentially harming health)? How would that work? All for a little nose-nudging? I think pronghorn are an interesting choice, since wolves could attempt to hunt down and observe these speedy and willowy antelopes. Pronghorn are very fast, so not sure how hunting would work (still though, wolves have been documented consuming pronghorn). I'd also love to see a Bobcat someday. In my opinion, I think black bears are already too similar to grizzly bears.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:23 pm

GoldenBeauty wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm
Mwitu wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 pm
I think it's a little odd how the porcupine is the 2nd most popular vote too.. to be honest, the porcupines are sort of like toads (which haven't been mentioned in quite some time). Porcupines are slow and relatively small critters. I'm not sure how WQ wolves would ''nudge'' a porcupine or play around with it. A porcupine is too slow to really interact with the player. Would WQ wolves have a nose full of quills if they poked it (potentially harming health)? How would that work? All for a little nose-nudging? I think pronghorn are an interesting choice, since wolves could attempt to hunt down and observe these speedy and willowy antelopes. Pronghorn are very fast, so not sure how hunting would work (still though, wolves have been documented consuming pronghorn). I'd also love to see a Bobcat someday. In my opinion, I think black bears are already too similar to grizzly bears.
That was basically what I was thinking. I expect toads will be featured in Slough Creek when they'll play a bigger part, seeing as their announcement video had a pup pouncing on one. :frog: (I know that's a frog and not a toad. No toad emoticon, unfortunately, but this'll do).
Maybe it could hinder the scent view slightly? Throw you off a bit if you got quills on your nose?
I was thinking pronghorns would be fun, too. What with all these ungulates being added, they might not have been the most popular choice.
Bobcats would be great. They're not really anything like the cougar because they're much smaller. Maybe they'd work the same way as foxes.
Black bears - I have the same opinion of them. They're smaller, a different color, and have a slightly different diet than grizzlies, but other than that there's not much difference between the two.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Wow, I can't believe that it has been almost 2 years since the original post on this thread, that's unbelievable! For a while it felt like WolfQuest Anniversary Edition would never be released, and here we are now, months after the release of WolfQuest AE, looking both forward and back, and it feels like it was just the other day that this devblog was released. That's absolutely incredible!

I feel like it is pretty important to address the obvious elephant in the room: that this poll ended over a year ago and the new animal has already been picked out. However, the recent activity on this thread has led me to ponder about the animals in this poll. I for one, originally was very unsure on which animal to vote for when the devblog was released over a year ago, as all of these animals seemed like great additions! However, I eventually settled on the Bighorn Sheep, something that seems to have been the case for most other members of the community. We still don't have those in the game yet, but they are coming soon, and I imagine that they will make a great addition by adding more diversity in the different species players can find in the game and adding another animal to the menu for WolfQuest wolves. However, it is worth noting that Bighorn Sheep are not a very large part of a Yellowstone wolf's diet, and I imagine that this will also be the case in WolfQuest considering that they will be most commonly found along the cliffs of Amethyst Mountain and other rocky or high-elevation areas in the game maps, areas that are difficult to traverse as a wolf. As such, I imagine that the new Bighorns won't exactly be a main food source in the game the way the ungulates currently in the game are, more likely just another animal to increase the biodiversity of the game world as well as adding some more life to those cliffs and other high elevation regions. There's nothing wrong with that, really, more animals are always a plus, and the Bighorn Sheep is a pretty iconic species in the Rocky Mountains, but I feel like they might not add as much to the game as some people may have hoped for in a new animal. However, nonetheless, the Bighorn Sheep is a welcome addition to the game which I think will help to expand the game very well.

However, there are some other, really great animals in this poll which I think should be added to the game at some point sometime in the future. Yellowstone is often referred to as the "Serengeti of North America", something which I think is represented well in the game currently, but I do believe that it could be improved to reflect this astounding biodiversity further. Bison are obviously at the top of the WolfQuest wishlist-and rightfully so, as they are a species that is very iconic in Yellowstone and often preyed upon by Yellowstone wolves. However, bison would obviously take some time to implement, so I understand why the team is waiting to add them alongside a future, fourth episode of the game. Therefore, it makes sense to add one or more of the other animals from this poll to the game once WolfQuest Anniversary Edition is no longer in early access and the Tower Fall episode is completed or nearing completion. If that isn't possible, some of these animals could just be added in future updates as the team continues to add content for years to come.

One animal very high on my own wishlist (as well as being featured in this poll) is the iconic, swift Pronghorn. Pronghorns are very iconic North American animals and also very interesting animals. They are well known for their extreme speed, which would make them a challenge to hunt, and they are also commonly seen in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone, which is included in the new expanded Amethyst Mountain map. I feel like it would just be very nice to see Pronghorns in the game, grazing alongside the Elk, Mule Deer, and (eventually) Bison. I just feel like they'd fit in the game quite well and would compliment the other species in the game very well, as well as being quite unique. The Black Bear is also relatively high on my personal wishlist, as their smaller and less aggressive status would be a nice change of pace from the ferocious and brutal Grizzlies that are currently in the game, and I feel like their iconic and widespread status would definitely make them fit in the game quite well. The Bobcat is slightly lower on my list, because while I would just love to see more feline representation in the game, they generally avoid wolves and wouldn't make for very interesting competitors. While I still feel like they'd definitely fit in well in the cliffs and other rocky areas, the fact that they don't interact with wolves in Yellowstone as much as the other competitors currently in the game makes them seem more like they'd be simple filler content in the game. While I would also like to see more small predators like weasels and otters, as well as less common predators in Yellowstone like the Canadian Lynx and Wolverine, those animals suffer from the same problems as the Bobcat in that they either don't interact with wolves much (in the case of the weasels, otters, or lynx) or are so sparsely distributed and elusive that players would rarely encounter them (in the case of the Wolverine and Lynx), meaning that they wouldn't add much gameplay potential, despite how epic it would be to fight a Wolverine in the game. However, one small animal that could make an interesting addition as a competitor would be Badgers, but only if more small prey like Jackrabbits, Ground Squirrels, and Marmots were added, otherwise there wouldn't be much to compete over. Speaking of small animals, I personally am quite opposed to the addition of Porcupines to the game. Not only are they not common, but I imagine that they'd also be difficult to implement because of those quills. Quills getting stuck in our wolves and causing a health debuff sounds like it would be both difficult to implement as well as annoying to players, because once porcupine quills are lodged into the skin, it's very difficult to remove them and the victim is likely to die of infection. That doesn't sound fun to me. While they would be hilarious and possibly a neat challenge to try to hunt, I personally feel like they'll have to wait until sometime far down the road, when most of the core game is finished and the team has enough time to add other miscellaneous features. There's many other animals that could be added in the future, but I feel like many of them would not add much to the game, with some examples being the Mountain Goat (not native to Yellowstone, and fills a similar role to the Bighorn Sheep, but would be an interesting addition nonetheless) or the White-Tailed Deer (rarely seen in Yellowstone and fills a similar role to the Mule Deer, but they're such an iconic species that I feel like they'd still be a worthy addition, maybe someday).
Regardless, more animals are something that would add a lot to the game in the future, and for future additions in the years to come, I feel like there is plenty to look forward to for the future of WolfQuest.

ChaseThePoochyena
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Being the best person I can be and spreading my teachings to others.

Post by ChaseThePoochyena » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:46 pm

I personally think it would be really cool to have some sheep in the game, show some variety in what wolves eat.