Flock Around the Clock

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Flock Around the Clock

Post by Koa » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Please keep all new ideas on the thread below.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78137
Remember that WolfQuest is an educational, realistic wolf simulation. Ideas that do not meet the aforementioned standard will likely not be added to the game.

Artemis Shadow
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Artemis Shadow » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:55 am

So many brilliant ideas!I realize putting so many animals into the game would be a difficult task, and I am pretty happy with the animals we have now[and love the deer and beaver coming up!]However,I do have some favorites among the suggestions.

1:More birds\also water birds for ambience, or perhaps even for food.[One bird I haven't seen suggested is the Turkey,which can fly but takes a couple seconds to get off the ground so could be caught if the wolf was quick.]Love the idea about eagle interactions around a carcass and seeing owls at night. :owl: And perhaps more interaction with ravens.Many studies show ravens leading wolves to elk or even playing with them. :raven:

2:Fish.It would be neat to see fish and maybe be able to hunt them?I suppose the hunting option would take ALOT of work for the game makers.

3:Sheep.I love the idea of sheep\goats [or both] in the cliffs and a new way of hunting.

4:Rodents.Mice,rats,voles,shrews.Perhaps a bite sized snack that only fills the health bar a little?

5:Lagamorphs.More hares.Hares everywhere.I like hares.

6:The skunk idea is really funny.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Artemis Shadow wrote:So many brilliant ideas!I realize putting so many animals into the game would be a difficult task, and I am pretty happy with the animals we have now[and love the deer and beaver coming up!]However,I do have some favorites among the suggestions.

1:More birds\also water birds for ambience, or perhaps even for food.[One bird I haven't seen suggested is the Turkey,which can fly but takes a couple seconds to get off the ground so could be caught if the wolf was quick.]Love the idea about eagle interactions around a carcass and seeing owls at night. :owl: And perhaps more interaction with ravens.Many studies show ravens leading wolves to elk or even playing with them. :raven:

2:Fish.It would be neat to see fish and maybe be able to hunt them?I suppose the hunting option would take ALOT of work for the game makers.

3:Sheep.I love the idea of sheep\goats [or both] in the cliffs and a new way of hunting.

4:Rodents.Mice,rats,voles,shrews.Perhaps a bite sized snack that only fills the health bar a little?
I don't think they'll be adding turkey just yet. Perhaps episode four. And really, in "Busy as Beavers" they are adding beavers to the game, which would cover your rodents. And the hare population must stay realistic. :D Also, in an earlier post, I asked about fish! LOL! They said that wolves in Yellowstone do not fish. Sorry.

CanisLatransCoyote
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by CanisLatransCoyote » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 pm

This will make the environment of WolfQuest so much more interesting!
The new behaviour of coyotes being in a band rather than always just stumbling upon a coyote on its own will be very cool, and I love their new model.
The elk herds sleeping at night will be a lot of fun to sneak up on when the sun goes down.
I'm very curious and excited to see what the Yellowstone of WolfQuest will be like with this added in, and I can't wait to explore the enlarged maps!

I have an idea/suggestion.
If there are going to be bands of coyotes rather than just one coyote on its own, maybe you could make an AI for coyote packs so that when you try to attack one of them, the whole coyote pack turns on you in an attempt to defend their packmate?
I've heard of such behaviour that happens in the wild with coyotes and other wild canids such as golden jackals and wolves too.
I think it would be really interesting to have a coyote pack react like that in the game and to also make it a challenge for players who might be daring enough to go against a coyote pack on their own.

-CanisLatrans :pawprint:

Zikura22
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Zicka

Post by Zikura22 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 pm

"If there are going to be bands of coyotes rather than just one coyote on its own, maybe you could make an AI for coyote packs so that when you try to attack one of them, the whole coyote pack turns on you in an attempt to defend their packmate?
I've heard of such behaviour that happens in the wild with coyotes and other wild canids such as golden jackals and wolves too.
I think it would be really interesting to have a coyote pack react like that in the game and to also make it a challenge for players who might be daring enough to go against a coyote pack on their own."

Yes that would be cool! But they would probably not attack us if we went against them as a pack, or? And if they appeared near the den during pup raising, that would be pretty challenging :D Also thinking about them chasing the bears off? I love that idea :)

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:07 pm

I was wondering if we will be able to see other animals hunting? Like AI stranger packs, or bears. I wonder how hard that is, because if the mate wolf is already programmed to hunt (including the chase and dodge actions etc) then you could just apply that to stranger wolves and other animals as well.

Anyway, even if you guys aren't planning on having this in the new release, is it something you might add in the future, like episode 4? It sounds very fun and you could listen for the sounds of a hunt, like alarm calls, to find new carcasses. :D
Last edited by Polynesia on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:30 pm

Polynesia wrote:I was wondering if we will be able to see other animals hunting? Like AI stranger packs, or bears. I wonder how hard that is, because if the mate wolf is already programmed to hunt (including the chase and dodge actions etc) then you could just apply that to stranger wolves and other animals as well.

Even if you guys aren't planning on having this in the new release, is it something you might add in the future, like episode 4? It sounds really fun! Espeically if you could listen for the sounds of a hunt, like alarm calls, to find opportunities to scavenge.
Yeah! That sounds cool. You can just feed off the kills of others and be lazy. :P

airbones
Name: Razza

Post by airbones » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Polynesia wrote:I was wondering if we will be able to see other animals hunting? Like AI stranger packs, or bears. I wonder how hard that is, because if the mate wolf is already programmed to hunt (including the chase and dodge actions etc) then you could just apply that to stranger wolves and other animals as well.
This is such a neat idea! Even if it's not possible in the next few versions, I really hope this is considered. It would take the games immersive-ness to the next level, and would also make the dead carcasses that spawn in-game even more believable. Could also be a new idea for an achievement, to watch another predator hunt.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 am

AirBones wrote:
This is such a neat idea! Even if it's not possible in the next few versions, I really hope this is considered. It would take the games immersive-ness to the next level, and would also make the dead carcasses that spawn in-game even more believable. Could also be a new idea for an achievement, to watch another predator hunt.
Yes, I agree. Even if it's not even added until episode million, it's still gotta be added sometime! :D

...That is, we HOPE, anyway...

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 pm

Coyote

I know. They are in WQ and about to be improved. But I think coyotes would not raid wolf dens as often as previous WQ. and are unlikely to keep raiding til death. I also heard that coyotes will harass young adult wolves in groups.

Black bear
An addiction of cowardly big friend looks nice. Maybe den raids by them will be added?

Pups
Same as coyotes. I think They at least should occasional run around. More interactions will also be better

Also....

- Voles, Groundsqirrels

- Fish

- Bobcat

- Badger

- Frogs, lizards(prey for pups!)

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:19 am

Selvin novaraptor wrote:Coyote

I know. They are in WQ and about to be improved. But I think coyotes would not raid wolf dens as often as previous WQ. and are unlikely to keep raiding til death. I also heard that coyotes will harass young adult wolves in groups.

Black bear
An addiction of cowardly big friend looks nice. Maybe den raids by them will be added?

Pups
Same as coyotes. I think They at least should occasional run around. More interactions will also be better

Also....

- Voles, Groundsqirrels

- Fish

- Bobcat

- Badger

Perhaps episode four. They have't even added bison yet. And if you look in "Summertime Snack", you will see that I have asked for fish (And I'm not the only one!) and they disagreed, because there is too much elk, deer, buffalo, everything.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am

I once watched something about arctic wolves. There was a yearling, called Scruffy, and he found the den of a small rodent. I don't remember exactly what it was, but he dug into the burrow and caught it. If you add rodents in future, I think it would be cool if you could find their dens and dig them out, mainly when prey is scarce. It might be a little hard to add, but I think it would help make the quest for survival a little more exciting. Maybe you could add a location in the game where there are no/very few elk. That way, wolves would be forced to prey on the smaller animals, and it would kind of have a hide and seek theme to it. Or if we can play as our pups someday, they most likely won't be strong enough to take down elk, therefore can prey on the smaller animals. This would help add a reason to catch smaller prey, and help add different experiences and challenges to the game.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:47 am

Hematite wrote:I once watched something about arctic wolves. There was a yearling, called Scruffy, and he found the den of a small rodent. I don't remember exactly what it was, but he dug into the burrow and caught it. If you add rodents in future, I think it would be cool if you could find their dens and dig them out, mainly when prey is scarce. It might be a little hard to add, but I think it would help make the quest for survival a little more exciting. Maybe you could add a location in the game where there are no/very few elk. That way, wolves would be forced to prey on the smaller animals, and it would kind of have a hide and seek theme to it. Or if we can play as our pups someday, they most likely won't be strong enough to take down elk, therefore can prey on the smaller animals. This would help add a reason to catch smaller prey, and help add different experiences and challenges to the game.
That's North Canada, not America in Yellowstone which is filled with prey for carnivores. And when I read Scruffy the yearling, I'm like Wow! I know that show, like a big brother or cousin to the three pups! But here in Wyoming, there's just so much food that I don't think Yellowstone wolves actually do that... remember, the main guy said the pack was living off hares in the second episode or so, because there's just no food. Here, wolves are happy! :D

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:20 pm

TimberRaven wrote:
Hematite wrote:I once watched something about arctic wolves. There was a yearling, called Scruffy, and he found the den of a small rodent. I don't remember exactly what it was, but he dug into the burrow and caught it. If you add rodents in future, I think it would be cool if you could find their dens and dig them out, mainly when prey is scarce. It might be a little hard to add, but I think it would help make the quest for survival a little more exciting. Maybe you could add a location in the game where there are no/very few elk. That way, wolves would be forced to prey on the smaller animals, and it would kind of have a hide and seek theme to it. Or if we can play as our pups someday, they most likely won't be strong enough to take down elk, therefore can prey on the smaller animals. This would help add a reason to catch smaller prey, and help add different experiences and challenges to the game.
That's North Canada, not America in Yellowstone which is filled with prey for carnivores. And when I read Scruffy the yearling, I'm like Wow! I know that show, like a big brother or cousin to the three pups! But here in Wyoming, there's just so much food that I don't think Yellowstone wolves actually do that... remember, the main guy said the pack was living off hares in the second episode or so, because there's just no food. Here, wolves are happy! :D

Good point. Though I still think it would be fun to play as a yearling, or maybe a little younger, so you're forced to hunt smaller prey. Normally, I would never choose catching a hare over an elk. That's why I think it would be fun if there were prey limitations in some places, so there would be a very good reason to hunt the small prey. I think finding the prey would be a fun challenge. But yes, maybe not the dig into burrows thing. :)

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:20 pm

TimberRaven wrote:
Selvin novaraptor wrote:
- Voles, Groundsqirrels

- Fish

- Bobcat

- Badger

Perhaps episode four. They have't even added bison yet. And if you look in "Summertime Snack", you will see that I have asked for fish (And I'm not the only one!) and they disagreed, because there is too much elk, deer, buffalo, everything.
Atleast there can be ambient fish