Flock Around the Clock

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

airbones
Name: Razza

Re: Flock Around the Clock

Post by airbones » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:03 pm

This has made me just ten times more excited. I am obsessed with those elk animations - especially the laying down. It's amazing to see things starting to come together, and I can only imagine how immersive this is gonna be when it's all finished, with the animals acting according to time and environment. Keep up the amazing work!

I like the idea of smaller rodents being put into the game, so as our puppies are growing and learning to hunt, they have something to practice on. Also seeing a bit more of the Eagles would be pretty neat, even if it's just occasionally spotting one eating from a carcass or something.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:17 pm

I think grizzly bear cubs are almost a necessity. Grizzlies are wolves main competitors in Yellowstone, and both species will kill each other's cubs should they encounter them. There's a few videos I've seen of wolves attempting to kill grizzly bear cubs out from under their mothers. As competition with grizzlies is so vital to a wolves life in Yellowstone, it should be further reflected in-game. In spring, it would be really cool to see mothers with a cub or two. They would defend cubs viciously, and it would take a decent sized pack to manage to snake the cubs out from under her. Success would result in an achievement and/or a large amount of EXP. A bit of a dark element to add, but I think players would like this. And it is the life of a gray wolf after all.

Forgive me for my several posts, I'm too scatterbrained to think of all these things at once :roll:

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Wow! :D What if you added it to where you could catch a squirrel? :acorn:
But really, I'd like to find a unicorn princess in Slough Creek, near the cattle ranch, always at dawn. (Or maybe another floppy animal like the floppy moose in Lost River, only spotted in a specific area, specifically at night).

Or instead of just silly (I'm in a goofy mood) we could be realistic. Any realistic ideas from me? 0.00 ideas. :lol:
Anyway, I like roguemoon's idea.
Keep it up!

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:10 am

Really love watching these dev videos. Very interesting and cool to see what's happening behind the scenes.

I would really like to see more birds and squirrels for ambiance. Just to make the world feel more lively when there are no elk herds around you or other animals.

I haven't played 2.7 yet so I' not sure if they're in there (I think there are crows?)--but vultures eating from carcasses would be cool.

Fish would be cool too, for ambience and also for catching.

Also it would be cool to be able to find a few dens of other kinds of animals, like the mountain lion or a beaver dam or something.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:13 am

roguemoon wrote:I think grizzly bear cubs are almost a necessity. Grizzlies are wolves main competitors in Yellowstone, and both species will kill each other's cubs should they encounter them. There's a few videos I've seen of wolves attempting to kill grizzly bear cubs out from under their mothers. As competition with grizzlies is so vital to a wolves life in Yellowstone, it should be further reflected in-game. In spring, it would be really cool to see mothers with a cub or two. They would defend cubs viciously, and it would take a decent sized pack to manage to snake the cubs out from under her. Success would result in an achievement and/or a large amount of EXP. A bit of a dark element to add, but I think players would like this. And it is the life of a gray wolf after all.

Forgive me for my several posts, I'm too scatterbrained to think of all these things at once :roll:
This is a really interesting idea, though I am not sure how good it would be in practice. Earlier Dave expressed concern over the addition of elk calves, worrying that it might disturb young and more sensitive players. This idea could cause conflict in multiplayer servers between mature players, and young players who don't really want to see a bear cub being killed from under its mother. It's not exactly comparable to killing a fawn or a calf, because at least fawns and calves are prey animals and are therefore natural sources of food.

wolfadore
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfadore » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:58 am

I agree that bobcats and bighorn sheep would be marvelous additions to the game, but I also recommend chipmunks, because who has ever gone anywhere in a mountainous area and not seen a chipmunk? I don't know if you could have pups hunt them, or adults for when they are on the brink of death, or just for ambiance, but chipmunks just seem too common to not have. Frogs and toads would also be nice, since you can hear them anyways, and the same goes for the beavers in Lost River.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:56 am

I have another question.. In the video you said that a pack of coyotes will be harder to chase off a carcass. Does that mean a group of coyotes can fight back and deal damage to you? Because that would be really fun. :)

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:21 am

Polynesia wrote:
roguemoon wrote:I think grizzly bear cubs are almost a necessity. Grizzlies are wolves main competitors in Yellowstone, and both species will kill each other's cubs should they encounter them. There's a few videos I've seen of wolves attempting to kill grizzly bear cubs out from under their mothers. As competition with grizzlies is so vital to a wolves life in Yellowstone, it should be further reflected in-game. In spring, it would be really cool to see mothers with a cub or two. They would defend cubs viciously, and it would take a decent sized pack to manage to snake the cubs out from under her. Success would result in an achievement and/or a large amount of EXP. A bit of a dark element to add, but I think players would like this. And it is the life of a gray wolf after all.

This is a really interesting idea, though I am not sure how good it would be in practice. Earlier Dave expressed concern over the addition of elk calves, worrying that it might disturb young and more sensitive players. This idea could cause conflict in multiplayer servers between mature players, and young players who don't really want to see a bear cub being killed from under its mother. It's not exactly comparable to killing a fawn or a calf, because at least fawns and calves are prey animals and are therefore natural sources of food.

Hm, I didn't consider that. Definitely something to think about.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:45 am

roguemoon wrote:
Polynesia wrote:

\

Hm, I didn't consider that. Definitely something to think about.
We've got a new and improved grizzly model, and a cub, in the works. Fighting competitors will be an (even) bigger part of WQ 3 than previously.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Ooh! Thank you for letting us know Dave!

airbones
Name: Razza

Post by airbones » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:45 pm

loboLoco wrote:We've got a new and improved grizzly model, and a cub, in the works. Fighting competitors will be an (even) bigger part of WQ 3 than previously.
Oooo yay! The bear has always been a favorite of mine in the game, so I'm happy to see it getting some TLC.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:24 am

Bear cub? That's fantastic to hear. Here's to the prospect of likely getting mauled to death because of wanting to check out a cute bear cub.

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:17 am

This looks awesome! And did I hear day-night cycle? Pretty awesome considering how you seemed challenged by the idea before.

I'm so excited for episode 3, and oh my gosh yes COYOTE PACKS. I know a lot of users suggested coyote packs, it's really awesome to see them implemented.

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:32 pm

I think it'd be interesting to have a brave (or overzealous) coyote vying for your kill while you're carrying it. Or a band of coyotes harassing you into dropping your snack to snap at one of them. I think some birds do this to foxes and coyotes, but I'd have to fact-check that. I also have to say a standoff against a grizzly or cougar for a carcass is going to be much more intimidating in WQ 3 by the sounds of it -- especially if they've got a cub nearby. :D

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:32 pm

loboLoco wrote:We've got a new and improved grizzly model, and a cub, in the works. Fighting competitors will be an (even) bigger part of WQ 3 than previously.
[/quote]

How exciting! The thought of having to fight to maintain a carcass as well is so thrilling. In the current game, it's so easy to just kill single coyotes, and bears will only walk up to the player and stare--not initiate damage or challenge.

I can't wait to see what new interactions will come with witnessing bear cubs. Thrilled to bits!