Take Me to the River?

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: paperpaws, Koa

CapriciousCeilican
Pup
Pup

Re: Take Me to the River?

Post by CapriciousCeilican » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:37 pm

That can easily be circumvented by giving a guide in the options menu about the parts of the HUD. Or labeling the bars.
Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:23 am

Colourblind people see colour, just differently than we do. And they can differentiate between lighter and darker shades. :)
Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:43 am

^ not to mention you'll eventually learn the location of which bar means what through a bit of trial and error ;3

Personally I too would prefer it if the health and hunger bars become seperate, for the same reasons Polynesia listed. Water being separate doesn't seem too necessary in my opinion, but it would add a little more realisim. I don't think it'll be too much to keep track of, as long as they don't decrease too fast and you still have enough time to do other things. Like wander around and explore, or rp.
Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:37 am

Personally I think a thirst bar is completely unnecessary and having drinking be an extra activity is more than enough. Hunger is a little more interesting, but I agree with all of Dave's concerns about adding more bars.

On another subject, I just have to express my amazement at the shear size of the new AM map; its incredible! The view shown in this video looks like it is already the size of one of our current maps, and I find it mind-blowing to think that there is so much more territory out of sight! Great job team, I can't wait to explore.
C0rgi
Name: Korg or Corgo.

Post by C0rgi » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:54 am

• I sorta agree that drinking should be an extra activity instead of a full on bar next to hunger. Maybe one day it could become something more but it'd be so difficult to keep up with another bar on top of the ones we already have. cx
Silverheart98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver Sparrow
Location: I'll roam with the wolves, stalk the deer and rest in my den~

Post by Silverheart98 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 am

Wow, this is amazingly realistic, the water flow, the textures! The water looks like real water and the drinking animation looks great! I can't wait to experience this in game!

Also, about hunger and drinking bars; it would definetly add realism to have hunger seperated from health. I would love this and one extra bar isn't too much in my opinion. It would only make the game feel realistic instead being able to rebuild your whole health by eating; this is not what happens in real nature and makes wolfquest feel more like game.

What it comes to thirst bar, if you are worried about too many bars, I don't think that this would be nescessarily to add. The thirst could be additional thing that helps the player at times but isn't something to worry about.

So yeah, in my opinion: health and hunger seperated, but no nescessarity on thirst. But of course, this is the game makers decision. I'm just stating my opinion. But no matter what, I will love this game! <3

Great job!
Last edited by Silverheart98 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunset-Light
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunset-Light » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 am

The Lamar river looks very nice.
Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Erick, Zhenya, Wind

Post by Windstrider » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Dang, everything looks amazing! And that water looks like something you can practically reach out and touch (or drink and swim in)!

And I agree that adding thirst as a bar would be kinda too much, especially if water is far away from wherever you happen to be on the map. If the thirst bar is added eventually, maybe various small water sources like streams or puddles (like you have to choose to either look for one of those and chance finding it nearby or go all the way to the river, which is possibly further but is a certain and obvious water source) should be added along with the bar.
Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:28 am

I have to say I agree with the general consensus of not making thirst a necessity. I know I probably reference WOLF too much, heh, but it's a good example in many cases. Thirst quickly became one of the most obnoxious parts of WOLF-- food was more accessible, but water sometimes wasn't. Unless the thirst bar decayed very, very slowly, I think it would just become a frustration in WolfQuest too (water isn't always nearby, after all).
I do like the idea of it giving a little health back though. That seems like a nice incentive to actually take time to get a drink.
roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 am

My mind continues to be blown by the sheer size of the new map, they're huge in comparison! I'm so excited to explore them.

I really like the idea of having separate health and hunger meters as well. It'll prevent players from having to hunt so often.
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:20 pm

Separate health and hunger bars are a must; hunger should not be the sole determinant of one's health. The health bar should instead utilize some algorithm to reflect a combination of variables, e.g., hunger, thirst, injury, and/or disease.
Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Erick, Zhenya, Wind

Post by Windstrider » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Koa wrote:Separate health and hunger bars are a must; hunger should not be the sole determinant of one's health. The health bar should instead utilize some algorithm to reflect a combination of variables, e.g., hunger, thirst, injury, and/or disease.
I kinda like that better than separate bars, sounds interesting! Different things could have bigger or smaller impacts on health, but they'd all impact health.
Quikke
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Quikke » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:06 am

Perhaps instead of a separate bar on the HUD to act for hunger, it can act as an activity or time-based status that influences the bars we already have. The more hungry you are, the less energy you have to use to get food, which can affect how quickly health depletes over time (via slow starvation that the game already simulates) and reduced spurts of energy (it could alter or perhaps override the set stamina a player's wolf has, making them have to work with less than what they're used to until they can find a spot of food).

Hunger already works fairly well with the current health bar we have, so while I think it'd be VERY nice to give it some kind of face lift (it'd be nice if the mate/pup health bars were removed from the HUD since they're so hard to read, and a shortcut key for a more 'visual based/health bar based' "Pack Stats" could be popped up to check on the fly), this sort of issue seems less like a need to reinvent the wheel but rather simply change them out for new ones and maybe oil the gears a bit.

I can see a somewhat better benefit for hunger being something that say, makes the wolf face in the player HUD change to show "you are hungry" and alters how fast I run out of steam (or recover it) when hunting or influencing my bite power etc more than a new separate bar on the HUD, especially since - if it were to influence stamina, it would give the drinking mechanic we've been given some very vital use! Since it could very much help to stop and drink when chasing down an elk if you've been given that sort of handicap.
TimberRaven
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Name: Probably June Harris

Post by TimberRaven » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:59 am

Hey, what of you added an illness bar? Because everything in real life has gotten at least a cold, right? Let's say your wolf was running around the sewege area in Lost River. Or maybe, if you don't like my sickness bar, an emotion bar (Like confident will make you find a mate easier -happy will make you run faster -sad will come from a pup's or mate's death)?
rebaz
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by rebaz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 am

wow.....this is amazing....

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”