Ride of the Wapiti

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Ride of the Wapiti

Post by roguemoon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Rustic wrote:Ok, so will just have their run speeds to go by rather than seeing a 'health meter' as it is currently then?

That's ok...was just curious...I generally just run at the herd anyhow to see which elk run for it...though I know some like to stalk them and check out their health ahead of time which is why I was curious.

I'm assuming the health meter's just weren't visible in this video. I don't see why they'd remove them for the new episode (I believe they're hidden when HUD is turned off? After all the wolf's HUD isn't visible either.)

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Ahhh ok, yes that makes sense :)

Silverheart98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver Sparrow
Location: I'll roam with the wolves, stalk the deer and rest in my den~

Post by Silverheart98 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:01 am

Oh I remind I never commented on this one!

It looks amazing and I love the wolf model too! The elks run is more realistic and seems very great!

What others said about wolf run being weird - I do not agree. There's nothing wrong with the wolf run. Only thing that bothered me about the wolf was that the wolfs head didn't follow the elks, it didn't even look infront of it, but maybe you already know that and will change it x'D It's seriously the only unrealistic thing I could see by myself. I have seen many times wolves running, and this is great animation!

EDIT// I wonder if it will be possible to bite on the noses of the prey? Wolves do that when they try to suffocate the prey. Idk if that will be difficult to put in game tho, and it only would work if other wolves pulled down the prey.

Keep up the great work, I will love the game no matter what <3

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:01 pm

Wolvencall wrote:
DaniBeez wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:I have to agree with Quikke and Weylenn - a sprint function would certainly be nice.
Fourth-ing this notion!
I'm fifthing it! I agree I usually go for a strength and stamina wolf so this will surely help! This would be wonderful as a lope the animation looks great! As I rewatch it and look at wolves running it looks more normal I think it's the heads lack of being raised as it goes for the elk Or I just need to get back to watching documenatries.
A sprint is the perfect medium between the walk and run (Duh, Captain Obvious) that would oddly make a large difference in my gameplay, at least. A nice trot through the new maps at a speed slow enough to enjoy the new shrubbery and terrain, but fast enough to cross the map before becoming bored. :pawprint:

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 am

[quote="Silverheart98"]Oh I remind I never commented on this one!

It looks amazing and I love the wolf model too! The elks run is more realistic and seems very great!

What others said about wolf run being weird - I do not agree. There's nothing wrong with the wolf run.
Well, most of us think it's just a bit stiff, or, so I think. I just think it needs a little more tweaking, so it actually looks like the wolf is running without a frozen head and back.

xenomothe
Pup
Pup

Post by xenomothe » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 am

-
Last edited by xenomothe on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Mewer-Crow wrote:Im pretty sure "Wapiti" is Elk in French
In German too! The word is Native American, meaning a white rump in Shawnee. Pretty cute. :) I like the name wapiti because it helps distinguish elk from moose. Outside of North America, moose are commonly called elk.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Oh neat. I didn't know that.

sophiaww
Pup
Pup

Post by sophiaww » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:54 am

Wow amazing I love how you made the elk run the animation is great!
2 things the wolf is a bit stiff when it runs and could you make the wolfs tail
Move around because the wolfs tail is like a stick
But I still think WolfQuest is amazing great work :D
P.s plz tell us soon when the new update comes

Wolvesarelife994
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolvesarelife994 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:13 pm

on the ride of wapiti, is this the new way the elk will run?

Inagabriella
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Inagabriella » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:46 am

SO beautiful. I LOVE your work and I relly like how much effort you put in this game

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Ooh, I'm excited for mass. I agree, mass will really be the element to give the animals' movement a natural, smooth feel.
Do each of the animals' goals have a priority level, where they're weighed against the others depending on the animal's current situation? For instance, if a wolf were to put itself in between an elk and the rest of its herd, the elk has two conflicting goals: Stay with the herd, and get away from the wolf.
On the "Follow the leaders" logic, was a sort of 'if-then' statement used, where if the elk found themselves at the front, with no elk in front of them, then they'd keep going forwards instead of trying to double backwards (In essence, Rule #2 no longer applies to them as it does for those behind them)?
Depending on the speed and momentum of the elk, will wolves actually be able to be 'trampled', where the wolf is knocked down and injured if it's run over by the elk?

I also recently watched a short clip on YouTube of a wolf hunting caribou by itself: and this sparked some thought. In the current game, taking down an elk means just biting it continuously until its health is gone. Are more realistic means of bringing down big game going to be implemented, where a player wolf would need to grab the animal to slow it down, before biting the throat and suffocating it to kill it, as shown at 2:06 in the video?

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:17 am

Wow there are so many elk! :moose: