Ride of the Wapiti

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

DaniBeez

Re: Ride of the Wapiti

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Very cool! I imagine things will get even more complex as more wolves are involved in the chase.

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:14 pm

This is... the best detail update I've seen as if yet. At least, I mean it made me the most excited! :'D
This is so great ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You're only getting me more and more excited with each update!

Rainbywolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rainbywolf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:33 pm

wow! The animations are so much better, :D The elk look beautiful!

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 pm

The running animations are looking absolutely gorgeous, same with the new models. Can't wait for this to be added to the game ^^
Last edited by ViperBrains on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 pm

I think the issue with the run animation is that it looks more like a canter than it does a gallop. Videos I've seen of wolves hunting elk and hare they are more at a full blown run. The current gallop looks more like a faster travel speed, haha, though it does look pretty accurate.

I've always been curious why there's been two movespeeds. Would there be any thought to add more? With the way the herd moves here it seems perfect for an opportunity to add a button triggered charge run to sacrifice some stamina and bite power to catch up and nip at an elk's hinds. I'm kind of itching for the possibility of it.

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Post by Weylenn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:19 pm

I love how the animations look. You guys have done a fantastic job with the animation, but I do think the run animation should have a little more "stride". Though you did say you needed to find a proper gait considering you had only two. With the new codebase, would it be possible to add a dash functionality? Like a temporary little sprint. Move just a bit faster (say to grab onto the prey) but with more stamina consumption, but it'd give you that extra little boost to get that grab and give that satisfying long stride look. Secondly, for cinematic/immersion or just moving but still gaining stamina, would you guys add in a walk as well? Would be slower but it'd be pretty + be convenient gameplay wise.

A cool thing I did notice was the auto head lock onto targets, which is a really nice touch. Looked silly when it was flipping everywhere though hahaha.

Again nicely done, and I'm so glad to see such an integral part of my childhood be revitalised like this.

EDIT: Seems someone had the same idea and posted it before I did! I agree with Quikke. :P

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 pm

The new herd AI looks great, Dave. :)

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:27 pm

I have to agree with Quikke and Weylenn - a sprint function would certainly be nice.

DragonSoul720
Pup
Pup
Name: Soul

Post by DragonSoul720 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:13 pm

Wow. Incredible. Every time I see an update it gets me more excited. Lol remember back when wolfquest was almost dead?

WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfDragonPlasma » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:36 am

This is definitely one of the most satisfying videos I've seen this week. Just watching the elk and wolf loping together as majestically as they are, coupled with the music, is just absolutely breathtaking!

Really excited for this update. Can't wait for 2018 X3

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:21 am

Woah ... that's actually pretty amazing. Nice work Tommi! I can't wait to see this in action for myself when the update finally releases. ^^ Keep it up Eduweb!
DragonSoul720 wrote:Lol remember back when wolfquest was almost dead?
Heh, the dark times. :shock: It's hard to believe how close they were to discontinuing the project.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 am

I love this update and the wolf running animation! It doesn't look stiff at all, I think their heads and shoulders are supposed to be stable because it helps them see when they're hunting and stuff. In the old (current) animation the spine is flexing too much, which makes it look catlike. It actually looks like a cheetah sprint, except much, much slower, lol.

Also, the overhead view in the video looks really amazing; it looks like an aerial view of an actual wolf hunting, which shows how realistic your new animations are! :)

I hope that in the update, you won't be able to slaughter the whole herd in one hunt, because that isn't so fun or realistic, and it makes pup raising boring if all you have to do is ferry pup food from nearby carcasses every few minutes. Maybe, you could make carcasses from winter disappear when spring arrives. Or when you catch an elk, there will be a hunting cool down period where the herd is super alert and moving away from you, making it hard to kill multiple elk in quick succession.

Anyway, good job Tommi and everyone else! :flower:
Last edited by Polynesia on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:25 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:I have to agree with Quikke and Weylenn - a sprint function would certainly be nice.
Fourth-ing this notion!

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 am

Gosh, I've watched this like 20 times already! It's just so cool to watch the elk run together like that. Nice touch, adding the speed differences, too. That'll be very helpful for my slow wolves :wink:

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:35 am

DaniBeez wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:I have to agree with Quikke and Weylenn - a sprint function would certainly be nice.
Fourth-ing this notion!
I'm fifthing it! I agree I usually go for a strength and stamina wolf so this will surely help! This would be wonderful as a lope the animation looks great! As I rewatch it and look at wolves running it looks more normal I think it's the heads lack of being raised as it goes for the elk Or I just need to get back to watching documenatries.