Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: paperpaws, Koa

User avatar
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:00 pm
Name: Maddie
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in the woods

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Wolvencall » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:53 pm

This is so exciting!!! Is that the expansion of slough Creek I see with that breathtaking sunrise? The wolf model looks amazing as well!! :D

User avatar
HowlerOfTheWolves
Pup
Pup
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 pm
Gender: Female
Location: idek

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by HowlerOfTheWolves » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:01 pm

I am so excited! You guys have been working so hard, and the WQ now is pretty much rocket science compared to when I first started playing the game 7 years ago! It just keeps getting better and better, and I cannot wait to see the improvements to come. :D

User avatar
Rainbywolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Rainbywolf » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:17 pm

This looks awesome! And wow the sun is rising in that video :O.

User avatar
Sheka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:51 pm
Gender: Female
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Sheka » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:26 pm

As Marty McFly would say, "Whoa, Doc, this is heavy." :P

I remember all too well the scary point in the game's history (2013?) where you guys were dead-set on shutting down the servers and ending the game altogether. I am so beyond relieved our community reunited, banded together and saved what was my childhood.

This is very exciting news!! WolfQuest has never looked so good- keep up the great work Dave & crew! :D

User avatar
Ecliptic
Pup
Pup
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:25 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Ecliptic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:22 pm

So pleased to see this! Wolfquest is like Yellowstone, in a way. It Think about its progress and scary moments, like when Yellowstone removed its wolves, and it'll make sense :) .

I have a question, though, what will Tower Fall be called, if Wolfquest 3 is the Anniversary Edition? Will it just be Tower Fall, or Tower Fall: 3.2, 3.5, etc.?

EDIT: oh goodness, the sun!
Last edited by Ecliptic on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:13 pm
Name: Erick, Zhenya, Wind
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Windstrider » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Sheka wrote:As Marty McFly would say, "Whoa, Doc, this is heavy." :P

I remember all too well the scary point in the game's history (2013?) where you guys were dead-set on shutting down the servers and ending the game altogether. I am so beyond relieved our community reunited, banded together and saved what was my childhood.

This is very exciting news!! WolfQuest has never looked so good- keep up the great work Dave & crew! :D
This. ^ It's amazing to see WQ go from looking like it was certainly shutting down to where it's at now. I'm so hyped for this update!

User avatar
alethe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2809
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm
Name: [REDACTED]
Gender: Female
Location: deep space gay
Contact:

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by alethe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:20 pm

looks great! Can't wait to download it

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by loboLoco » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Sheka wrote:I remember all too well the scary point in the game's history (2013?) where you guys were dead-set on shutting down the servers...
Please understand that that wasn't because we were eager to kill the game. We just had no more funding for the game, and no hope of funding, and we wanted to be very clear about that situation. And in 2011-13, I wasn't in a position to take over the project and try to revive it. Happily, things changed. (And most definitely, they would not have changed if I hadn't seen how much players continued to play the game.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:04 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Lebron BMT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Kipcha28 wrote:
The admins weren't set on killing it; it just didn't have the kind of funding needed to keep it running
I disagree, and it appears the others users who were here remember as well. The admins had decided there could be no more Wolfquest updates and episodes, and even this website was ready to be nuked. Yes, this happened because of a lack of funding, but there has been no magical influx of funding as far as I know. Moreover, the old admin even closed the Wolfquest store where our members were buying things and donating as much as they could to keep Wolfquest alive.

We owe everything to Dave for attempting to save Wolfquest in the first place, and being successful as a result.
Sheka wrote:
I remember all too well the scary point in the game's history (2013?) where you guys were dead-set on shutting down the servers and ending the game altogether. I am so beyond relieved our community reunited, banded together and saved what was my childhood.
Windrider wrote:
This. ^ It's amazing to see WQ go from looking like it was certainly shutting down to where it's at now. I'm so hyped for this update!
I share your sentiments mates. What a turn of events.

User avatar
wolf_whisperer98
Pup
Pup
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:29 pm
Name: Silver
Gender: Female
Location: Waiting for my Valentine

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by wolf_whisperer98 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 pm

:wolf: This is too good! I cannot wait until the next update and the initial release! :wolf:

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Lebron BMT wrote:
I disagree, and it appears the others users who were here remember as well. The admins had decided there could be no more Wolfquest updates and episodes, and even this website was ready to be nuked. Yes, this happened because of a lack of funding, but there has been no magical influx of funding as far as I know. Moreover, the old admin even closed the Wolfquest store where our members were buying things and donating as much as they could to keep Wolfquest alive.
Funding ran out, and because there was no more money to go around, there could be no more episodes/updates to the game...and eventually the servers would have to been shut down along with the website (hosting a website isn't free).

Luckily, due to continued interest in the game by the players, it was picked back up and a paid version was developed (originally only for mobile platforms, but it was decided to make it for Mac/Windows as well). Due to the money (read: funding) brought in by the paid version, the developers have been able to make Tower Fall (and the Anniversary Edition) happen. Without that money, WolfQuest couldn't continue.

I'm pretty sure if 2.7 wasn't a success, we wouldn't be seeing anything about an episode 3 or an anniversary edition. Eduweb might have been in a financial pickle as well, but they hedged their bets and it all turned out okay.


Please see this quote from Dave, one of the devs:
Please understand that that wasn't because we were eager to kill the game. We just had no more funding for the game, and no hope of funding, and we wanted to be very clear about that situation. And in 2011-13, I wasn't in a position to take over the project and try to revive it. Happily, things changed. (And most definitely, they would not have changed if I hadn't seen how much players continued to play the game.)

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12758
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Koa » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:09 am

Praise the sun!

@ Lebron BMT- If I recall correctly, the Minnesota Zoo had a hand in running the WolfQuest store; it wasn't something under eduweb's control to keep open. Also, there was no reason to continue to accept donations on behalf of the WolfQuest project when, at the time, no new game updates were planned. It would have been bad business had they done so. Sure, donations helped keep the forum running, but (a it would have been misleading and (b they would have not sustained the creation of a new episode on their own.

Keep in mind that the Minnesota Zoo, which presided over WolfQuest and populated the forums with prior administrators, falls under the control of the state. It's an important detail to know about WolfQuest's history, because the project was affected in different ways. (Remember the Minnesota state shutdown which forced the forums to go offline?) Keeping the project going when it was primarily under the jurisdiction of Minnesota Zoo is not as clear-cut a situation as you might have thought.

Hybrid Wolf
Guest
Guest

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Hybrid Wolf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:58 am

This is amazing!

Thanks Dave!

User avatar
Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:04 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Lebron BMT » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:01 am

Solitary Owl wrote:
Funding ran out, and because there was no more money to go around, there could be no more episodes/updates to the game
Right, but again, there was no magical influx of funding that inspired Dave to reignite WolfQuest. The users were always ready and willing to do what was necessary to save WolfQuest. Dave realized that while the old admins refused to.
Solitary Owl wrote:
Without that money, WolfQuest couldn't continue.
Exactly, except for the new updates to Wolfquest, the game and the updates came first, then the funding via users paying for them. The funding didn't come first; the plans for updates did. There is nothing for the users to support if there are no plans, and that was up to the old admins. It was the admins who gave up; never the community.
Solitary Owl wrote:
Please see this quote from Dave, one of the devs:
Please reread Dave's reply. He himself says WolfQuest wouldn't have been reignited had he not realized that the community here was strong and very interested in more WolfQuest. The leadership was causing the problem not the userbase.
Koa wrote
If I recall correctly, the Minnesota Zoo had a hand in running the WolfQuest store; it wasn't something under eduweb's control to keep open
Yes, the old admin was actually employed at the Minnesota Zoo as I recall too.
Koa wrote
Also, there was no reason to continue to accept donations on behalf of the WolfQuest project when, at the time, no new game updates were planned.
Exactly, they refused to plan more episodes and so they cut off the community's efforts to save WolfQuest and help fund it when they closed the store. Dave, however, did make plans for another update and now we are here.
Koa wrote Keeping the project going when it was primarily under the jurisdiction of Minnesota Zoo is not as clear-cut a situation as you might have thought.
No, I understand it was the Minnesota Zoo that created WolfQuest and that it was the Minnesota Zoo that tried to end WolfQuest.

User avatar
Ecliptic
Pup
Pup
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:25 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by Ecliptic » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:14 am

Whatever the case, let's be glad it's here and alive now!

Post Reply

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”