International Wolf Center logo
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
tumblr.
YouTube
Wikia / Fandom

Mapmaking

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: paperpaws, Koa

Re: Mapmaking

Postby paperpaws » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:01 am

I finally got around to watching this, and have to say, it has been very cool and interesting to see how mapmaking works behind the scenes. I honestly had no idea you used a satellite photo as a base, even though that does make a lot of sense. The fact that the changes in the real-life area will be reflected in the newer versions is really cool, as well; although I second the desire for a way to keep the old maps playable somehow for nostalgia's sake.

All these upcoming changes make me feel like WolfQuest is about to turn into a whole new game, heh.

Once again, compliments to the narration as well - it's very easy and understandable to listen to.
icon by lupinzpack

YAHAHA YOU FOUND ME

my life is retail and uni at the moment help me [mainly inactive for the remainder of May]
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Postby PearlyReborn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:40 am

Anduril wrote:I finally got around to watching this, and have to say, it has been very cool and interesting to see how mapmaking works behind the scenes. I honestly had no idea you used a satellite photo as a base, even though that does make a lot of sense. The fact that the changes in the real-life area will be reflected in the newer versions is really cool, as well; although I second the desire for a way to keep the old maps playable somehow for nostalgia's sake.

All these upcoming changes make me feel like WolfQuest is about to turn into a whole new game, heh.

Once again, compliments to the narration as well - it's very easy and understandable to listen to.

Technically, you can play the old maps (and relive the 2.5 nostalgia) by playing 2.5.
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Name: Meg

Postby paperpaws » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:44 am

PearlyReborn wrote:Technically, you can play the old maps (and relive the 2.5 nostalgia) by playing 2.5.

Of course, and I'm aware of that; however, there are quite a few obvious differences between 2.5 and 2.7 :) I also think it'd be a neat feature to include in general (given that it would not unnecessarily burden the game file size); as it'd allow new and old players alike to look back on where WolfQuest started out.
icon by lupinzpack

YAHAHA YOU FOUND ME

my life is retail and uni at the moment help me [mainly inactive for the remainder of May]
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Postby PearlyReborn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:10 am

Anduril wrote:
PearlyReborn wrote:Technically, you can play the old maps (and relive the 2.5 nostalgia) by playing 2.5.

Of course, and I'm aware of that; however, there are quite a few obvious differences between 2.5 and 2.7 :) I also think it'd be a neat feature to include in general (given that it would not unnecessarily burden the game file size); as it'd allow new and old players alike to look back on where WolfQuest started out.

That could, of course, affect gameplay (If Slough Creek is expanding then the journey is going to be pretty different,
I'm assuming), so maybe make it a multiplayer option to play the old maps?

I am going to miss The Burn though.
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Postby Violet 2010 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:33 pm

My excitement is exceeding healthy limits. This is just incredible, I am so happy and proud of how far the game has come, and cannot wait to run around the larger maps.

I have one question though! If Slough Creek too will be getting bigger will we get to have more den options spread throughout the entire map?
Violet 2010
Pup
Pup

Postby CapriciousCeilican » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Violet 2010 wrote:My excitement is exceeding healthy limits. This is just incredible, I am so happy and proud of how far the game has come, and cannot wait to run around the larger maps.

I have one question though! If Slough Creek too will be getting bigger will we get to have more den options spread throughout the entire map?

Same! I revisited Amethyst Mountain in the game just to try to visualize it, and now I'm hyped all over again. xD

Slough will also be redone, and will include more den options. Source here: http://prntscr.com/g28b4h
CapriciousCeilican
Pup
Pup

Postby PearlyReborn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm

CapriciousCeilican wrote:
Violet 2010 wrote:My excitement is exceeding healthy limits. This is just incredible, I am so happy and proud of how far the game has come, and cannot wait to run around the larger maps.

Same! I revisited Amethyst Mountain in the game just to try to visualize it, and now I'm hyped all over again. xD

Slough will also be redone, and will include more den options. Source here: http://prntscr.com/g28b4h

New dens! How exciting!
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Postby SolitaryHowl » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:28 pm

CapriciousCeilican wrote:and will include more den options. Source here: http://prntscr.com/g28b4h

Oooh, new den options! That's cool. :D
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Postby Phasoli » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:24 pm

I can't wait to explore these new den options. I'm excited beyond measure!
Phasoli
Yearling
Yearling

Name: Call me Tsuri!

Postby Ecliptic » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 am

I'd be interested to see what will happen to the "travel to slough creek" part of the game. It'll be nice to have tons of new areas to explore; a 2km by 2km map was fun at first, but I'll be happy to race through Lamar Valley and see how it compares to real life.
Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Postby Infinity Howl » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 am

This is so cool! Thanks Dave!
Infinity Howl

Postby 7KodaWolf7 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Man, this is really awesome news! Interesting video. I just realized that I hadn't been subscribed to the channel, so I just did that. I'm looking forward to the new &/or improved maps! :D
7KodaWolf7
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Name: Asher

Postby Rifka » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:18 pm

You know how I said last week's update was my favorite? Well, this one tops that 100 times. I just posted a suggestion for bigger maps a bit under two weeks ago, and now I'm blown away.
Rifka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Postby wolfluvr101 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 pm

CapriciousCeilican wrote:

The hype just got bigger.
wolfluvr101
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Name: Rexx

Postby Lebron BMT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 am

Does this mean the Amethyst Mountain episode will no longer take place in the fall? I hope that's not the case as it would disrupt the progression of the story and the game that we have so far (finding a mate in the fall, having pups in spring, and now raising them in the summer in Tower Fall). Also, having two places set in spring would make both maps appear graphically similar to each other. The full of life atmosphere that Slough Creek in the spring gives off in comparison to Amethyst Mountain would also be lost.
Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

PreviousNext

Return to WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog