Mapmaking

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Koa

User avatar
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 4373
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by paperpaws » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:01 am

I finally got around to watching this, and have to say, it has been very cool and interesting to see how mapmaking works behind the scenes. I honestly had no idea you used a satellite photo as a base, even though that does make a lot of sense. The fact that the changes in the real-life area will be reflected in the newer versions is really cool, as well; although I second the desire for a way to keep the old maps playable somehow for nostalgia's sake.

All these upcoming changes make me feel like WolfQuest is about to turn into a whole new game, heh.

Once again, compliments to the narration as well - it's very easy and understandable to listen to.

User avatar
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm
Name: Meg
Gender: Female
Location: Nuvema Town

Re: Mapmaking

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:40 am

Anduril wrote:I finally got around to watching this, and have to say, it has been very cool and interesting to see how mapmaking works behind the scenes. I honestly had no idea you used a satellite photo as a base, even though that does make a lot of sense. The fact that the changes in the real-life area will be reflected in the newer versions is really cool, as well; although I second the desire for a way to keep the old maps playable somehow for nostalgia's sake.

All these upcoming changes make me feel like WolfQuest is about to turn into a whole new game, heh.

Once again, compliments to the narration as well - it's very easy and understandable to listen to.
Technically, you can play the old maps (and relive the 2.5 nostalgia) by playing 2.5.

User avatar
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 4373
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Mapmaking

Post by paperpaws » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:44 am

PearlyReborn wrote:Technically, you can play the old maps (and relive the 2.5 nostalgia) by playing 2.5.
Of course, and I'm aware of that; however, there are quite a few obvious differences between 2.5 and 2.7 :) I also think it'd be a neat feature to include in general (given that it would not unnecessarily burden the game file size); as it'd allow new and old players alike to look back on where WolfQuest started out.

User avatar
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm
Name: Meg
Gender: Female
Location: Nuvema Town

Re: Mapmaking

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:10 am

Anduril wrote:
PearlyReborn wrote:Technically, you can play the old maps (and relive the 2.5 nostalgia) by playing 2.5.
Of course, and I'm aware of that; however, there are quite a few obvious differences between 2.5 and 2.7 :) I also think it'd be a neat feature to include in general (given that it would not unnecessarily burden the game file size); as it'd allow new and old players alike to look back on where WolfQuest started out.
That could, of course, affect gameplay (If Slough Creek is expanding then the journey is going to be pretty different,
I'm assuming), so maybe make it a multiplayer option to play the old maps?

I am going to miss The Burn though.

Violet 2010
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:13 am
Gender: Female
Location: Brazil

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Violet 2010 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:33 pm

My excitement is exceeding healthy limits. This is just incredible, I am so happy and proud of how far the game has come, and cannot wait to run around the larger maps.

I have one question though! If Slough Creek too will be getting bigger will we get to have more den options spread throughout the entire map?

User avatar
CapriciousCeilican
Pup
Pup
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:21 am
Gender: Female

Re: Mapmaking

Post by CapriciousCeilican » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Violet 2010 wrote:My excitement is exceeding healthy limits. This is just incredible, I am so happy and proud of how far the game has come, and cannot wait to run around the larger maps.

I have one question though! If Slough Creek too will be getting bigger will we get to have more den options spread throughout the entire map?
Same! I revisited Amethyst Mountain in the game just to try to visualize it, and now I'm hyped all over again. xD

Slough will also be redone, and will include more den options. Source here: http://prntscr.com/g28b4h

User avatar
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm
Name: Meg
Gender: Female
Location: Nuvema Town

Re: Mapmaking

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm

CapriciousCeilican wrote:
Violet 2010 wrote:My excitement is exceeding healthy limits. This is just incredible, I am so happy and proud of how far the game has come, and cannot wait to run around the larger maps.

I have one question though! If Slough Creek too will be getting bigger will we get to have more den options spread throughout the entire map?
Same! I revisited Amethyst Mountain in the game just to try to visualize it, and now I'm hyped all over again. xD

Slough will also be redone, and will include more den options. Source here: http://prntscr.com/g28b4h
New dens! How exciting!

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6259
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Mapmaking

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:28 pm

CapriciousCeilican wrote:and will include more den options. Source here: http://prntscr.com/g28b4h
Oooh, new den options! That's cool. :D

User avatar
Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:23 pm
Name: Call me Tsuri!
Gender: Female
Location: Photosynthesizing with the beans in the backyard

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Phasoli » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:24 pm

I can't wait to explore these new den options. I'm excited beyond measure!

User avatar
Ecliptic
Pup
Pup
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:25 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Ecliptic » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 am

I'd be interested to see what will happen to the "travel to slough creek" part of the game. It'll be nice to have tons of new areas to explore; a 2km by 2km map was fun at first, but I'll be happy to race through Lamar Valley and see how it compares to real life.

Infinity Howl
Guest
Guest

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Infinity Howl » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 am

This is so cool! Thanks Dave!

User avatar
7KodaWolf7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:55 pm
Name: Asher
Gender: Nonbinary
Location: Slowly sucking away your serotonin supply

Re: Mapmaking

Post by 7KodaWolf7 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Man, this is really awesome news! Interesting video. I just realized that I hadn't been subscribed to the channel, so I just did that. I'm looking forward to the new &/or improved maps! :D

User avatar
Rifka
Pup
Pup
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:27 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Rifka » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:18 pm

You know how I said last week's update was my favorite? Well, this one tops that 100 times. I just posted a suggestion for bigger maps a bit under two weeks ago, and now I'm blown away.

User avatar
wolfluvr101
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 am
Name: Rexx
Gender: Female
Location: Here, there, maybe everywhere

Re: Mapmaking

Post by wolfluvr101 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 pm

CapriciousCeilican wrote:
Slough will also be redone, and will include more den options. Source here: http://prntscr.com/g28b4h
The hype just got bigger.

User avatar
Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:04 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Re: Mapmaking

Post by Lebron BMT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 am

Does this mean the Amethyst Mountain episode will no longer take place in the fall? I hope that's not the case as it would disrupt the progression of the story and the game that we have so far (finding a mate in the fall, having pups in spring, and now raising them in the summer in Tower Fall). Also, having two places set in spring would make both maps appear graphically similar to each other. The full of life atmosphere that Slough Creek in the spring gives off in comparison to Amethyst Mountain would also be lost.

Post Reply

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”