I Smell Elk!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

7KodaWolf7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Elliott

Re: I Smell Elk!

Post by 7KodaWolf7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 pm

Ecliptic wrote:That's a pretty good point. I love the challenge of Bring it On, but when my pups starve before I can even do a single hunt it's a little ridiculous.
I agree, and I second the last several messages about this. Before picking a den in Slough, I have to hunt down two herds so that there are multiple carcasses near the den I plan on choosing and on the way to the rendezvous point. It's very time-consuming.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:09 pm

7KodaWolf7 wrote:
Ecliptic wrote:That's a pretty good point. I love the challenge of Bring it On, but when my pups starve before I can even do a single hunt it's a little ridiculous.
I agree, and I second the last several messages about this. Before picking a den in Slough, I have to hunt down two herds so that there are multiple carcasses near the den I plan on choosing and on the way to the rendezvous point. It's very time-consuming.
Same, I spend quite a bit of time hunting. While it can be a time-killer and good for getting exp, you definitely need a lot of food, especially on the harder modes.

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Given the title of this thread, I wonder if the new scent system will only apply to elk, or if will it apply to other WolfQuest animals as well? Hopefully the latter, but I think this will be difficult for the devs to figure out since I don't think players want sniffing out scent trails the only way for players to encounter other animals--especially animals like coyotes and bears. Some animals, particularly predators, seem like they should adhere to both the new scent system as well as the new spawning mechanics (whatever they may be).

ValorWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: FionaFox

Post by ValorWolf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:28 pm

This is amazing! Now there's even more uses for wind in the game than just having the elk smell you coming from upwind. :mrgreen:

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:10 am

Lebron BMT wrote:Given the title of this thread, I wonder if the new scent system will only apply to elk, or if will it apply to other WolfQuest animals as well?
The title is a reference to a trailer for WolfQuest from way back in the day. For you and whoever else is curious:

(Side note; makes me wonder where those kids are at in life now. Bet they'd hate to watch this.. :D)

Lebron BMT wrote:Hopefully the latter, but I think this will be difficult for the devs to figure out since I don't think players want sniffing out scent trails the only way for players to encounter other animals--especially animals like coyotes and bears.
The first post may focus on elk, it also refers to "other animals (including stranger wolves)" often enough for me to believe that this will be a redesign of the scent system in general and apply to all animals present in the game. We're just going to have to wait and see until it is fleshed out a bit more to see how this will apply to non-prey animals.

Vacanza
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Joy / Sovi

Post by Vacanza » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Looks great so far! The scent trail being in the air would make the game more realistic, and the trail more difficult to follow. I can't wait for WQ3 to be released! :moose: