about WolfQuest 3!

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
tumblr.
YouTube
Wikia / Fandom

Incorporating Player Ideas Into WolfQuest

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: paperpaws, Koa

Incorporating Player Ideas Into WolfQuest

Postby Pepper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:28 am

We are so excited to be working on the third episode of WolfQuest! Now that we have chosen the new map area at Tower Fall, we’re visualizing the new terrain and all the possibilities for new gameplay.

One things that makes WolfQuest such a great thing for us is the player community. From the beginning, the mission of this project was to get people engaged and really thinking about wolves and ecology. It’s amazing how players’ enthusiasm has sustained WolfQuest through the years. Not a day goes by that we don’t hear from players about new ideas and improvements you would like to see in the game.

And we pay close attention to those ideas! One of my tasks has been to go through all the posts on the forum Ideas for New Episodes V2 and the discussion on Steam: Ideas for Future Updates as well as the other ways players share. To help us think about them, I have built a massive spreadsheet tracking and tallying player ideas for the WolfQuest team to reference. We note each idea, sort them into categories, and tally how many players suggest each idea. This gives us a good overview of player priorities and wishes.

As we add things to the game, we get to mark them as DONE on this spreadsheet (and this makes us happy). We note the ones that are possibilities for the next episode or save them for future episodes. We sort them according to popularity and feasibility (always thinking about wolf ecology as well as the gameplay). We discuss endlessly which ideas we can include and how they might play out!

If you read all the player posts, you can see the patterns of player requests. Good news! Most people agree.

We have sorted player ideas into theses categories:

* Gameplay
* Wolf behaviors
* Hunting
* Pack/stranger/dispersal wolves interactions
* Wolf customizations (pelts, scars, aging etc.)
* Ambient nature (things that bring the landscape to life like sounds, terrain and flora variety, weather, and animals that wolves wouldn’t interact with but would be cool to see)
* Interactive nature (like elk, moose, or even ravens)
* Human ambience (human detritus, e.g Lost River, old boots in the woods….)
*Other (nuts and bolts game options like chat, camera controls, etc.)

Every new idea is considered and weighed. The biggest factors that determine what we add:

* Is this accurate, real-life wolf behavior and/or ecology?
* How will it improve gameplay? Will it be interesting and fun? Is it worth the effort to implement?
* How will it affect the how the game runs? We are bound by ever-evolving technical limitations. Our players use many, many, different devices…
* The budget. Always.
* Time. We want to get the new episode out sooner than later.

Some highly-requested player ideas that you will see in the next episode:

* Continue raising those pups — but will they survive long enough to learn how to hunt?
* Baby prey (snack to banquet-sized). So cute and tasty!
* Mule deer: bucks, does, and fawns. Watch out, those hooves pack a punch

Many more to come! Stay tuned to hear more about how Tower Fall is developing. And keep those ideas coming.

Read and share player ideas at:

Previous posts on Episode 3 Developer's Blog

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: Incorporating Player Ideas Into WolfQuest

Postby paperpaws » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:11 am

Heh, I remember when we finally agreed to create a makeshift second Ideas for New Episodes topic the general consensus was that it wasn't 'official' and we didn't need to keep track of every shared idea. Hearing about that spreadsheet makes me feel like I should've put in some effort in keeping it organised after all - if you want me to start doing so, I'd be happy to.

That said, it's exciting to hear about all these implied new features. I'm very curious and eager to see what is to come next. As always, all the best wishes for the whole development process, and thank you for your tireless work!
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Postby SolitaryHowl » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:12 am

Good stuff, thanks for sharing Pepper! Its always interesting to read about how the team thinks things through!
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Postby Nor-easter Forecast » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:40 am

My favorite thing has and always will be how WQ listens to the voices of its players. Thank you so much for taking the time to wade through all those mountains of suggestions, and I am so excited to see what other suggestions will find a place in TF!
Nor-easter Forecast

Postby Koa » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:48 am

As someone who uses to keep up with the original "Ideas for new episodes" thread and had to categorize new ideas, I know how tedious the process can be.

Loving how this thread is visually organized, by the way.
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Postby wolf567 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Great to hear that all ideas are looked at and considered! Must have been a massive task going through them all Pepper.

Very excited to read future blogs :)
Wolf567 / Blaze

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Postby SilkenGalaxy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Ah, it's amazing how the WQ team works hard to take into consideration what the players want in the game and how they work to get as much of these requests as possible into the game!
SilkenGalaxy

Name: Silk/Gally

Postby Wolvencall » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:32 pm

This is awesome it looks very organized as well^~^ I see why you'd use suggestions as well as the more heads to put ideas together the better
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Name: Maddie

Postby Pepper » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Anduril wrote:Heh, I remember when we finally agreed to create a makeshift second Ideas for New Episodes topic the general consensus was that it wasn't 'official' and we didn't need to keep track of every shared idea. Hearing about that spreadsheet makes me feel like I should've put in some effort in keeping it organised after all - if you want me to start doing so, I'd be happy to.

Thanks! We sure appreciate all the amazing work you all put into WQ! I will keep you in mind for any help. :-)
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Postby Pepper » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Koa wrote:As someone who uses to keep up with the original "Ideas for new episodes" thread and had to categorize new ideas, I know how tedious the process can be.

Loving how this thread is visually organized, by the way.

Thanks, Koa! I know my work is made easier by what you all have done.

(And thanks for the noticing the visual organization...I do like good headings!)
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Postby rene-frankie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 am

"Some highly-requested player ideas that you will see in the next episode:

* Continue raising those pups — but will they survive long enough to learn how to hunt?
* Baby prey (snack to banquet-sized). So cute and tasty!
* Mule deer: bucks, does, and fawns. Watch out, those hooves pack a punch"

okay we already knew that we would keep raising pups and that there would be new prey, but mule deer is news to me!
so you're definitely going to put mule deer in the game? this is amazing!

by the way i wish the budget wasn't a problem for you guys. what about a kickstarter campaign for the 3rd episode? maybe not many people would help but eh, money is money, even a small amount would be useful to you.
rene-frankie
Pup
Pup

Postby Phasoli » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:16 am

It feels so wonderful to know that our ideas are being taken into consideration!

rene-frankie wrote:by the way i wish the budget wasn't a problem for you guys. what about a kickstarter campaign for the 3rd episode? maybe not many people would help but eh, money is money, even a small amount would be useful to you.

If there were some way to donate to the team, I would definitely do my best to contribute. This game means so much to me!
Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Name: Call me Tsuri!

Postby Noctis_ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:06 pm

I appreciate all of the time the development team takes to listen to our ideas! I knew they watched the suggestion threads, but painstakingly recording all of them on one massive spreadsheet must take a lot of time and dedication! When I suggested a handful of achievement names during the development of 2.7, I never expected a few of them to be used, and it was so cool to have a permanent mark on the game. Thanks for all your hard work, staff!
Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Postby 7KodaWolf7 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm not exactly sure where the best place would be to post this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong place (and feel free to move it). I think it'd be cool if the dispersal wolves (or AI wolves in general) had randomized customizations like our wolf does. Like, you could wander into the Specimen Pack's territory and find a dispersal (opposite gender) wolf with a gray pelt and the limpy customization. Y'know what I mean?
7KodaWolf7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Name: Asher

Postby duskypack » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:35 pm

7KodaWolf7 wrote:I'm not exactly sure where the best place would be to post this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong place (and feel free to move it). I think it'd be cool if the dispersal wolves (or AI wolves in general) had randomized customizations like our wolf does. Like, you could wander into the Specimen Pack's territory and find a dispersal (opposite gender) wolf with a gray pelt and the limpy customization. Y'know what I mean?

The correct topic for posting ideas is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78137
^_^
duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Name: Dusk

Next

Return to WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog