New version: 2.7 for tablet -- and Mac/Windows!

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: New version: 2.7 for tablet -- and Mac/Windows!

Post by Koa » Sun May 24, 2015 9:10 pm

SilverWolf08 wrote:Sounds great! What kind of updates are there going to be?
New features/mentions of updates can be found on this thread:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=75088

dingo
Pup
Pup

Post by dingo » Fri May 29, 2015 2:57 pm

It's great to hear WQ lives on after so many years. I will most certaily be purchasing it on the tablet, and hopefully Steam!

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sun May 31, 2015 6:52 am

I was happy to see the Facebook update Dave put up. The new wolf coats look great! :D

Davidlc
Pup
Pup

Post by Davidlc » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:20 am

Quick Question Dave, will the people who originally downloaded the game have to pay for it? Like me, and many others who have had WolfQuest 2.5.1 for quite a while, I've had it for maybe a year, and many others probably even more. Just wondering, because i only have $5.00 lol. thanks again dave for making the new update. :D

thelostwolf12345
Pup
Pup
Name: Scruff

Post by thelostwolf12345 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:32 am

Well, this is a shocker.

For someone like me with...how should i put it? the worlds most unstable, old laptop. I'll be having to wait a while before i can get a new one (or maybe that tablet-latop hybrid)

I guess i'll have to get into work experience at highschool to gather some pocket money!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:29 am

Davidlc wrote:Quick Question Dave, will the people who originally downloaded the game have to pay for it? Like me, and many others who have had WolfQuest 2.5.1 for quite a while, I've had it for maybe a year, and many others probably even more. Just wondering, because i only have $5.00 lol. thanks again dave for making the new update. :D
Because this new version will have quite a few new features, yes, you will have to pay if you want the update, regardless if you have had the past version or not.
loboLoco wrote:Pricing for the Mac/Windows version will be roughly comparable to the tablet version, though exactly how that pricing will be structured (fremium+IAP, or paid) is yet to be determined.
Koa wrote:The free version will still be avaliable in some form; you will not be forced to pay for the update if you do not want to. The new version will have new features, and to reflect the choice for payment in the tablet version of the game, this update coming to Mac/Windows must do something similar.

Wolfyyy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolfyyy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:25 pm

I was so excited finally there'll be a new version but why paid??? It has always been free!!!! Why do we have to pay for it now????
Now I think I'm losing hope again. I was waiting for so long seeing if there's any news but seriously.
Disappointed :/

Keytone
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Keytone » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:33 pm

You have got to consider the lack of funds and all, though. It's true, it's always been free; which is great for us, but try to imagine how difficult it is to gain enough money this way. Think of all the additions to the game, as well.

Besides, this isn't going to be nowhere near expensive. And yet, it will be of considerable importance and great help for the people working on the game etc.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Wolfyyy wrote:I was so excited finally there'll be a new version but why paid??? It has always been free!!!! Why do we have to pay for it now????
Now I think I'm losing hope again. I was waiting for so long seeing if there's any news but seriously.
Simply put: this new version of the game wouldn't exist if not for potential sales income. So you'll be no worse off -- either you can keep playing the old version for free, or you can pay a very modest sum for a greatly improved and expanded game. The choice is yours!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

IceStorm450
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by IceStorm450 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:55 pm

I hope our pups are able to grow up, it was kind of a bummer at the end of the game when the game just.... ended. :D Still so excited for awesome new update! I thought wolf quest was coming to an end because no one is on it anymore, anyone know how long we have to wait till the tablet and computer update come out?

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Pups maturing would require a new episode. While 2.7 is a much-needed update, a new episode would require very strong sales. As for a release date, the current estimate is July-August. No specific or certain date yet.
loboLoco wrote:We're definitely in the final stretch now (only 59 items on our to-do list! Though I know we'll add more as we focus more on bug fixing). So July looks...plausible, and if not July then August is quite likely. That's for iPad. Android tablets should be same or very soon afterwards. And Mac/Win one or two months after that.
Source: New version: Pictures and more

Davidlc
Pup
Pup

Post by Davidlc » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:52 pm

I must say how remarkable Wolfquest has stayed during the years, while many people i know hate the nature, i feel sorry they are missing out on this golden opportunity. I am so happy they are coming out with an update that will improve the performance of Wolfquest on computers like mine. Nevertheless, I know someone told me the update wont be expensive, but what will be the price range, $5-$10 for the game maybe? I dont know really, just guessing. Also wondering how the tablet version would be sold. Would it be availiable in google play and ios app stores.
  • Edit
loboLoco wrote:
Wolfyyy wrote:I was so excited finally there'll be a new version but why paid??? It has always been free!!!! Why do we have to pay for it now????
Simply put: this new version of the game wouldn't exist if not for potential sales income. So you'll be no worse off -- either you can keep playing the old version for free, or you can pay a very modest sum for a greatly improved and expanded game. The choice is yours!
My choice would be to purchase it! Consider how hard it was for all the sponsors to make Wolfquest possible. I honestly say hats off to Dave and his amazing team who has made this game possible!
Last edited by Neamara on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added information from double post. In the future, please use the edit feature of your previous post to include additional information. Thank you~ ♪

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:22 am

In addition to what Dave said, remember that the original game was funded by grants. The game and community ended up becoming far, far bigger and lasting for years more than it was initially ever intended to. It's done well.
But the grant money is gone now; it was gone back in 2012 or 2013, and if I remember what was said, they've just kept the servers and community afloat with what they'd previously made in the store and from donations. Now they're putting in a whole ton of work to create tablet versions and update the PC version: remember that the programmers have to be paid, and that the website, servers, etc. cost money to keep running, as well as the fact that some places (like the iTunes app store) charge you for selling your game through them. That money's got to come from somewhere. So, that's why they're putting a price on it. Don't worry though - like they said, it won't be much, and you can still hang onto your old version too.

_Nimbus_
Pup
Pup

Post by _Nimbus_ » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:05 am

Wait, if I pay for this update, will I have to pay for the next?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:09 am

Finbar_Fengo wrote:Wait, if I pay for this update, will I have to pay for the next?
We don't know if there will be another update; it depends how well this one does, and then the team will take it from there.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”