Wolf OR - 7 (a.k.a. "Journey") : General Discussion Thread

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Wolf OR - 7 (a.k.a. "Journey") : General Discussion Thread

Post by Koa » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Since many threads have been posted about the roaming wolf we know as OR - 7, I thought it would be best to create a general discussion thread so that there is no confusion, given that the little guy tends to travel a lot.

You are allowed to post updates here, as well as discussion his future, what it means for the public, and so forth.
Last edited by Koa on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Wolf OR - 7 : General Discussion Thread

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Nice idea Koa, this should clear up some confusion. I think OR-7 has come a ling way, and I think having a whole discussion topic for him will allow a larger variety of discussion. ^^

I do have a question though, may I repost my most recent update on this thread instead? That way it can allow people to discuss it with visual reference close by?
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Unlucky 13
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Unlucky 13 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:04 am

Nice idea Koa! Many people seem interested in OR-7 I will certainly be stalking this thread a lot :3
Moved to A Jokers Curse

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:Nice idea Koa, this should clear up some confusion. I think OR-7 has come a ling way, and I think having a whole discussion topic for him will allow a larger variety of discussion. ^^

I do have a question though, may I repost my most recent update on this thread instead? That way it can allow people to discuss it with visual reference close by?
You are allowed to post recent updates and so on.
Koa wrote:You are allowed to post updates here, as well as discussion his future, what it means for the public, and so forth.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:02 am

Haha sorry Koa, suppose I should have bolded "repost" the most recent update on OR-7. Seeing that it was locked due to this new advanced discussion thread. ^^"

But it seems there isn't a problem with it, so thanks for clarifying. ;)

Lone wolf OR7 crosses back into Oregon after 2-month California visit

California has lost its wandering wolf.

The wild gray wolf known as OR7 crossed back into Oregon around noon Thursday, according to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, which has monitored its GPS collar along with the California Department of Fish and Game.

OR7 lingered for more than a week near the Oregon border in Siskiyou County, closely retracing the route that brought him into California on Dec. 28. He had traveled south as far as the outskirts of Susanville over the past two months.

"It's possible OR7 will cross back into California and be using areas in both states," Russ Morgan, Oregon's wolf coordinator, said in a statement.

The wolf is the first known in California in nearly 90 years, since the species was exterminated by hunters and trappers in the early 1900s. His journey from his pack in northeastern Oregon – normal dispersal to seek his own mate and territory – has covered more than 2,000 miles and captivated wildlife lovers across the globe.

California wildlife officials believe it is possible a small permanent wolf population will eventually become established in the state, possibly by following the scent trail laid down by OR7.

Source > http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/03/430804 ... -into.html

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:12 pm

[An update is an update. I have no qualms with "re-posting" the update here from the locked threads unless the particular said update has been posted here already.]

I recall stating how I was surprised how OR-7 had not fallen to the roads yet, considering most dispersal wolves seem to be taken that way or by other things. In his travels, he must have come upon some roads but got lucky.. we'll see how long that luck will last for long.

Unlucky 13
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Unlucky 13 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Hopefully his luck does continue, his travel patterns certainly are fascinating.
Moved to A Jokers Curse

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Yes, the roads are one of the dangers I would expect a traveling wolf, or any animal, to be brought down by. His journey has sure brought him far and it's great to see him still successfully travelling. Im hoping this Dispersal will soon find a mate, and finally claim an area as their own.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:Yes, the roads are one of the dangers I would expect a traveling wolf, or any animal, to be brought down by. His journey has sure brought him far and it's great to see him still successfully travelling. Im hoping this Dispersal will soon find a mate, and finally claim an area as their own.
Let's hope if he does settle he settles in an area with the least amount of potential conflicts [i.e. residential areas and issues like that] ... but alas, that can all go very well or very bad. In general though I don't expect the public to be happy [in a sense I don't blame them because I understand what they are going through... the zoo is putting a predator(s) next to us on the lot next door apparently.] and can see why they would be unhappy at this animal settling down or just roaming.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Yes, him settling in a residential area could bring many conflicts. And after his long journey, it would be a shame for it to end because of an issue evolving around society.
I also wouldn't blame the people of they become unhappy with the movements and decisions of OR-7. I'm hoping he travels deeper into Oregon and finds a vacant piece of land with a nice amount of vegetation and trees. This is probably the best to keep him far from civilization, and civilization far from problems and troubles.

Unlucky 13
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Unlucky 13 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:54 pm

I just finished reading more about OR-7. It's good to read that he hasn't killed any livestock and hasn't caused any disturbances so far. Hopefully that continues. I agree with you BlackWarrior, hopefully he finds some place to settle before he does cause any disturbances.
Moved to A Jokers Curse

Honey wolf

Post by Honey wolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:02 am

Just read about him, it was an interesting read^^

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:04 pm

OR-7 update:
Thought I should share the where-abouts of OR-7, and turns out he is back in California.
Suzanne Hurt wrote: SACRAMENTO,Calif.,April 6 (Reuters) - A male wolf that made headlines by becoming the first of its species in more than 80 years to be found in the wild in California has crossed back into the Golden State on its determined quest for a mate. The gray wolf,designated OR7 by wildlife managers,has traveled more than 2,000 miles (3,219 km) since leaving its pack in northeastern Oregon last September and heading south,paying its first visit to California in late December. The animal,which wandered back to Oregon in early March,returned to California last Friday and was still roaming a forested area in northern Siskiyou County on Thursday, said Karen Kovacs,wildlife program manager with the California Department of Fish and Game. Young male wolves like OR7,which will turn 3 in mid-April,must leave the home range of their parents to find a female companion and reproduce because only the dominant pair in each wolf pack form a mating bond. "What happens is they leave looking for love. And when they don't find it,they keep walking - because the love of their life is just over that hill," said Ed Bangs,a wolf expert who spearheaded the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's reintroduction of wolves to the lower 48 states in the 1990s. "He won't stop doing that until he dies. Or he finds the love of his life." OR7,fitted with a tracking collar,gained worldwide attention after entering California on Dec. 28,making it the state's first wild wolf since the last one was trapped and killed in 1924 in Lassen County. The newcomer loped along the crest of the Cascade Mountains,crossed highways and rivers,including the Deschutes and Klamath,and traveled to within 15 miles (24 km) of the Nevada border on its journey. OR7 spent about two months in northern California before heading back to its home state in early March. The gray wolf is listed as an endangered species in the Pacific Northwest,making it protected under federal law. Steve Pedery,conservation director of the environmental group Oregon Wild,said there are at last 29 wolves inhabiting Oregon. California wildlife officials were surprised to learn the wolf had returned. Most wolves travel less than 100 miles (161 km) in search of new territory and mates. About a dozen gray wolves are known to have traveled distances of 180 miles (290 km) or more since the species was reintroduced in the continental United States. One female wolf was documented to have roamed 3,000 miles (4,828 km) from Wyoming and back again,Bangs said. OR7 presumably has picked the wrong direction by heading into California,where no others of his kind are known to exist in the wild. "He doesn't know there's nobody south of him," Bangs said. (Editing by Steve Gorman and Paul Simao)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb ... 07984.html

Honey wolf

Post by Honey wolf » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Wow, that wolf can travel!

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 am

I hope he won 't be roadkilled or something. As far as he does not become involved in killing livestock, I think it is best to leave him roaming though the US territory