Akitas and Wolves?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

lvager
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Akitas and Wolves?

Post by lvager » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:49 pm

i heard the japanese dog Akita is actually a very very close relative of the wolf? is it true?

ozo123
Pup
Pup

Re: Akitas and Wolves?

Post by ozo123 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:01 pm

hmmm...Im not sure personally I dont know but they look like fat huskys to me...anyway I dont think so the akitas may have some features that look simaler but I dont think they are though...But its what you think anyway... 8)
Join My Pack Today Crimson Leaf Pack!

Zeyote
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Zeyote » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:24 pm

"Akitas are related to wovles. Just like Huskies and Malamutes. But Akitas DNA is the closest to wovles. But Akitas don't howl, Huskies and Malamutes have been known to do that. A Malamute howl is identical to a wolf, you can't tell them apart. (I read this on the internet). All three of these big breeds don't do well around smaller animals. That's why you cannot have them off leash. All these breeds can work hard and like to have a job. Akitas and Malamutes can get over 100 lbs. Huskies tend to be smaller and quicker, but still pretty big dogs."

More information - http://www.ehow.com/about_4567874_akita-wolves.html

ozo123
Pup
Pup

Post by ozo123 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:48 am

WOW Theres something you dont hear everyday...LOL :P
Join My Pack Today Crimson Leaf Pack!

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:03 am

A Malamute howl is identical to a wolf, you can't tell them apart.
This is a widespread, pervasive myth. Wolves howl in a frequency that domestic dogs are unable to copy. Wolves can identify each other through vocals and they can recognize a pack member's voice if it is howling from afar. Wolves will not confuse the howl of a dog as the howl of fellow specimen.

Akita Inu, Basenji, Shar Pei, Chow Chow and Siberian Husky are all ancient breeds, however, they are not genetically the closest to the wolf. The most primitive breeds are pariah dogs, the very first versions of domestic dogs which evolved directly from the ancestors of modern dogs, Indian wolves. All dogs owe their origin in South and East Asia. The lineage of southern wolves dates as far back as over 800,000 years, whereas the lineage of northern wolves "only" goes about 150,000 years.

Dogs that are almost identical with the genetic structure and molecular level of the wolf are the Australian wild dog, the Dingo, and the New Guinea Singing Dog, not the Akita.

Also, of the breeds mentioned above, Basenji is in fact the oldest and closest to the wolf (after the Dingo and New Guinea Singing Dog). Australian Cattle Dog, Malaysian Dog (Telomian), Carolina dogs and Borneo dogs are also extremely close descendants of the dingo and therefore of the wolf.

Akita Inu is a very ancient breed, yes, but it's not the most ancient or a breed which is closest to the wolf.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Cheyanne
Pup
Pup

Post by Cheyanne » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:55 pm

all dogs are related to wolves, the Akita breed might in fact be a bit closer to the wolf.
:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:Cheyanne was here:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:
Swimmer and proud. I'm also a wolf.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Cheyanne wrote:all dogs are related to wolves, the Akita breed might in fact be a bit closer to the wolf.
Ancient dog breeds are genetically the closest to wolves because they directly descend from the southern wolf lineage. A majority of ancient and primitive breeds were created in Asia and human interference in their development has been minimal, which is why they are genetically much more purer than many of today's "designer breeds".

Primitive wild dogs, the very first canines that can actually be called "dog breeds", are the breeds which are closest to the wolf.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Today I met a women who owned an Akita and she did say that she was proud to own a 'partial' wolf.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Dewfrost
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Dewfrost » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Huskies, Malamutes and Akitas are all related to wolves, but Akitas have the closest DNA to wolves, as Zeyote mentioned. One of our neighbors owns an Akita, and he did call it 'Wolfie', funnily enough.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MeginoRAWR

My lashes are dry, purple teardrops I cry.

♦ WolfQuest User Of The Month September 2009

scar face
Pup
Pup

Post by scar face » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:11 pm

um the wolf is a close relateive of the atika but the wolf german shepereds are more wolf than any thing. it is strange because those two different kinds of dogs and wolves all mate and create mutated dogs that could be mean one day and mean the next.
s'up

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:14 pm

Hello lvager,

Since I believe that this question has been provided with accurate information which should be enough to answer this question, I'll lock this now. Thanks to everyone who helped with the question!

-Thread Locked-
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu