Do blind wolves exist in wild alive?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Re: Do blind wolves exist in wild alive?

Post by CLBaileyi » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:25 am

Zea stated:
Actually blind wolves do survive quite well in the wild. They may not be able to see but with their amazing sense of smell and hearing you would never have guessed they were blind in the first place. Blind wolves in packs survive exceedingly well, and are just like any other pack member. I read a book on it a long time ago.
Zea-

I am very curious what type of book you read this in-a story or a natural history/biologist written book. I have never read of it except in fiction books (which I have to admit I question their biological basis for statements quite a bit at times-depending of course on the statement and the book story line). I know of no studies where they have determined that a completely bind wolf being able to survive for any significant period of time in the wild. It has happened with single wolves in captivity without doubt, but that is a unique situation. A wolf that has some limited vision could potentially survive in the wild with a pack. Although their sight is not their most relied on sense for survival, it still has value when combined with all of the senses an animal needs to survive in the wild.

Just as a side note, we do know of 3-legged wolves (missing either a front or back leg) do survive in the wild in pack situations very well. It has been documented on several occasions.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:44 am

My mum has just reminded me of going to spain at lobo park.

There was a blind wolf there, it had to be separated from the pack beacuse the pack would of killed it.

So very very bleak. I have a picture of it, i will try get it up, but that bleak too.
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

Zea
Pup
Pup

Post by Zea » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:13 am

Sorry I didn't reply; I don't usually check this forum.
It was an educational book. It was non-fiction, but layed out like a fiction book(there were chapters) I can't remember the name of the book as it was read quite a while ago and I've read many books in the past.
Sorry I could not supply you with a title.
My name ish Wulfeh, please call me that
My new male is called Shannaro
My old wolves are in my files but I'm stupid and have no idea how to put them back into the game. xP

WindSeeker
Pup
Pup

Post by WindSeeker » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:23 pm

As a legally blind human, I find this thread interesting.

I've read the book someone mentioned about the female leader being shot by aerial hunters. It was called Child of the Wolves, and was, I believe, about a husky named Granite.

Anyway, I'd be awfully iffy about a blind wolf's chances of survival. Especially due to lack of communication skills, etc.

In one of the installments of Wolves at Our Door (documentary by the Dutchers) in their early years, the adult female (I think her name was Akoui) developed cataracts, and could not interact well with the rest of the pack, who ended up shunning her.
WindSeeker's Deviantart Gallery
http://windseeker.deviantart.com/

Join the Elemental Fantasy Wolf RP of Paragon
http://paragon.invisionzone.com/

Remote Howl
Pup
Pup

Post by Remote Howl » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Wolfes allready have a bad sight, but their hearing and smell sense are QUITE accurate. being blind is not actually hard for them
).........(\_
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\

Fur As White As The Whitest Snow, Eyes As The Coldest Ice, Claws As The Sharpest Steel

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:39 pm

they dont have bad sight, they are just colorblind. they dont rely on their sight as much, but they do rely on it quite a bit. they couldnt survive without it.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Remote Howl
Pup
Pup

Post by Remote Howl » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:43 pm

well, I readed they have quite bad sight, but it's not impossible to live in blindness to a wolf. he can smell all dangerous and where are it running to.
).........(\_
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\

Fur As White As The Whitest Snow, Eyes As The Coldest Ice, Claws As The Sharpest Steel

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:45 pm

yes, but the wolf cant see the trees, ground, etc. and the wolf also cant see the prey or where to bite.

it can tell relative location, but not much more than that.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Remote Howl
Pup
Pup

Post by Remote Howl » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:48 pm

it can smell all trees. wolf has 12 times superior than human :) and much much more things are most better.
).........(\_
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:51 pm

smell trees? I doubt it. more like, smell whats on it. if it was running, I dont think it could tell where the trees were easily.

it would never be able to hunt, not being able to see the prey, and it would have to blunder around to find the carcass of something the rest of the pack killed, it it probably wouldnt be able to keep up with the pack.

its extremely improbable that they would survive past a few months.

in captivity its completely different though, because the humans take care of the wolf and provide the food and such.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Zea
Pup
Pup

Post by Zea » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:28 am

I read Child of the Wolves! =3 It was were I read the wolf was blind and was still as good as normal, and I followed that up in books. =3

A wolf can sense trees. they have a 'sixth sense', if a very mild one, in which they can feel what's around them. Example; you know when you're sitting or standing and you can just feel someone behind you or watching you?

And, actually, wolves are not colourblind but they see less colour than us, and their sight is blurred and not as good as ours, so Remote Howl is right, Blindseer.

Also, in responce to Wolf10, just because they are blind doesn't mean they can't hunt! The pack could get it on the floor and as a stronger and healthier wolf goes to try and kill it the blind wolf can still grab the animal by the leg to stop it moving or something. And, also, blind wolves can still parent their young, especially when they are newborns, because the rest of the pack would hunt for her and the cubs which shee looks after them. She could hear and smell them leaving.

And there are many blind people who have had children before.

Wolves are not peacemakers.

And a blind wolf wouldn't be running through a forest, would it? It would have to be around the wolves quite a lot and all, but they could still lead a pretty normal life.
My name ish Wulfeh, please call me that
My new male is called Shannaro
My old wolves are in my files but I'm stupid and have no idea how to put them back into the game. xP

WindSeeker
Pup
Pup

Post by WindSeeker » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:17 am

Zea,

Speaking from a lifetime of personal experience here. The "sixth sense" you are referring to is there, but it doesn't help for things more than a foot away. If I actually want to get anywhere, I must rely on other means, primarly my Seeing Eye Dog. The sixth sense is by no means an effective way of travel, if it were, blindness in any form would be much less of a problem.

I also doubt a blind wolf could aid with the kill. Blindness does not instill confidence in animals. If you've ever seen a blind animal, they are far more cautious.

I think you should perhaps put on a blindfold and see how well you get along, even in your own house. You might then better appreciate the loss of a sense.

Wolf vision is not that bad, otherwise, it would be difficult for the to spot a slight limp in a herd of fleeing prey.

And yes, a female wolf who was blind could breed, but the likelyhood of her being a breeder in the pack, I would think would be very low. First, because they would likely be seen as a weaker individual, and second, a fitter, female who would be able to see would probably find it easy to drive off the disabled wolf.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Zea wrote:
Also, in responce to Wolf10, just because they are blind doesn't mean they can't hunt! The pack could get it on the floor and as a stronger and healthier wolf goes to try and kill it the blind wolf can still grab the animal by the leg to stop it moving or something. And, also, blind wolves can still parent their young, especially when they are newborns, because the rest of the pack would hunt for her and the cubs which shee looks after them. She could hear and smell them leaving.
note: they can neither see any of the prey, nor the leg it is trying to grab. all it might smell is the blood from the kill. blind wolves only exist in captivity. blind wolves die very early. its supported by every fact I have seen.

yes, it might be able toi find the location of the prey as I said bvefore, but it would definately not be able to hunt it.

and how do you know if their sight is "blurred"? all I ave found is tht they are colorblind to certain colors, and that is said everywhere. there is not studay that can tell if sight is blurred or not.

all that windseeker said is true, thanks for posting that! you explained that stuff a lot better than I could have. and I learned a little from your post as well.
icon by Rottenrobbie

WindSeeker
Pup
Pup

Post by WindSeeker » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:02 pm

:) No problem. I just don't want people to think blindness is something easy to live with, but I don't want anyone to think its a completely disabling factor either. However, blind people are way better off than animals with that disability. We have support systems animals just do not have or use.

Rinith
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rinith » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:12 pm

Though I am for the blind wolf not lasting long, here is a few facts on the sight of wolves, witch I have found much support for

They most likely can ether not see or not see very well the color cyan
There vision could be lightly blurred, but not enough to make a difference at a distance, and to them they would not notice the blur, merely we have better focused eyes do to a pit in the back of them (I can not remember the name of it) not to mention this is roughly balanced out by the fact they seem to see things better then we do at a distance
A wolf's night vision is in fact better then a persons due to the "reflector" in the eye that collects all traces of light, with there only weakness compared to us is the sharpness of there vision, witch is hardly a weakness to there many strengths
~Don't tell me to calm down, for I am rarely angry, even this request is nothing more but that, a request
~My Game Ideas, please leave a comment
:http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 69#p101069