Eduweb logo
Content support by
International Wolf Center logo
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
tumblr.

WQ 2.7 costs $10. Is it worth it?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: wolf567, Kirave, Anduril

Re: WQ 2.7 costs $10. Is it worth it?

Postby Lobo Laughing » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:47 pm

KisabellaBlue8 wrote:yes it is less glitchy but now their more problems with downloading it and its way more laggy also.

Also, adding on that what Dave said, you need to understand that in order to have improved graphics you need a stronger computer to use them. One of the short-comings of technology is that everything is improving so quickly, leaving even one or two year old computers outstripped by recent releases. 2.7 was released with newer computers in mind and is (rightfully) less concerned with older models that can't handle the new graphics. The game isn't responsible for the lag; it's the computer that runs it.

I totally believe that WQ is worth the money. As many other people have said, look at all the other games out there that are total junk and yet cost 30 or 40 bucks. WQ isn't perfect by any means but it has solid gameplay, reasonably good graphics, and a great support system if people come across bugs. Those things are, percentage-wise, very uncommon in the game world. Besides, good things never come free in our world. WQ 2.7, in spite of costing money, is now more educational and enjoyable. In my opinion, it isn't even comparable to older versions of the game.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © lupinzpack/twinlinskis/patty griffin
Lobo Laughing

Postby roguemoon » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:43 pm

I think WolfQuest 2.7 is absolutely worth $10. $10 is, quite honestly, a pretty small amount of money, and you get a lot out of the game for such a small amount of money. The new graphics are beautiful, you have three whole maps to explore, achievements, improved animal AI, and multiplayer. The game isn't perfect of course, but for the fact that it was internally funded and didn't have the resources that big games have, I think it's very well done and enjoyable, and the new version is even more educational and enjoyable as Lobo Laughing said.

And i think too that it's really really neat that WQ actually listens to the community. The game is directly influenced by the players, we're actually able to make suggestions, give feedback and discuss the game with the people who help to create it, which is wonderful. So, yes, I think 2.7 is definitely worth the $10 it costs. I'm actually hoping we'll be able to make donations again so I can contribute to it (and potentially the development of a third episode!) :)
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Avatar credit to Off-White webcomic
roguemoon
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby altias » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Was it worth $10?

Short answer: Yes, I definitely think so.

Long answer: As someone who's played 2.5 thoroughly in the past (especially the version released around 2010-2011), I think the update is everything I wanted back then and even more. The old game holds the same concept, like said before, but 2.7 adds the things that were missing and then some. A new map and more features (especially the customization - probably my favorite part!) means even veteran players will have something to explore in the new game, even if they know Am and SC like the back of their hand. (paw?? wolf? eh? nah)

I could easily see the game going for at least a little more than currently priced. $10 is a lot to spend on one thing (at least for someone like me, who doesn't really have a whole lot extra, haha), but it's worth it for the gameplay. Sad to see public lexicon go, but the ability to use free text chat and voice chat privately makes up for it. That, and the fact that I can actually host private games... in the past there were a lot of issues with that, and I believe other people had the problem too and had to resort to having reserved public games. The multi fix helped a lot and I appreciated it so much.

So all in all, the new features and updates to things like NPC ai (the npc mate is smarter, though the early mate AI was pretty bad before anyway, haha) and texture revamping (looks much less stretched and more detailed), as well as general extras added to each map (the campfire in AM, or the fossils in Fossil Forest in AM). Even older maps have new stuff for older members to sniff out!!

✦ ✧ follow the stars ✧ ✦
they / them pronouns, thank you! | agender | 20 years old
previously cosla27 | my deviantart | my wolfquest blog
altias
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Postby Dorken » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:42 pm

KisabellaBlue8 wrote:yes it is less glitchy but now their more problems with downloading it and its way more laggy also.

Sorry for the repost, technical issues.
Dave already pointed out how the team is working to fix issues with downloading, installing, and so on, so I'll leave that be.
The cause of lag is a sort of your mileage may vary deal. Lag in multiplayer is to be expected as there's a lot of information being sent back and forth between up to five different computers. WQ itself just gets a little weighed down by all that info for some people. If it's single player lag that ails you, you could always try adjusting the graphics quality, turning of shadows, etc. in the game settings menu. And, of course, some people's computers are just better suited to run the program. My desktop, for example, was made to support lots of information and run lots of things at once. It's better suited for the task of running WQ then, say, a five year old laptop. There's also issues with memory, graphics cards, and other system based things to pay mind to.

My point here is that I can understand someone not wanting to shell out their money for a game they can't play properly - nobody wants a game they can't play! - but the problems seem to be few and inbetween, the team is working to fix the ones that are presented, and it all may just be a matter of adjusting some settings.
deviantArt | Wolf Comic Reviews | WolfQuest Blog
The Beaver Theory
Lost River will never be the same.
Dorken
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby Spirit-the-wolf » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:43 pm

no way! it is way to laggy, even the demo. it is not worth playing.
Spirit-the-wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Postby Anduril » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:48 pm

Spirit-the-wolf wrote:no way! it is way to laggy, even the demo. it is not worth playing.

... Are you aware that that is a lot more likely to be caused by your pc rather than the game itself? Your pc might not be powerful enough to sufficiently run WolfQuest; both suggested/minimum requirements and partly the demo as well are provided so people can check.
Anduril
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Postby Dorken » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Anduril wrote:
Spirit-the-wolf wrote:no way! it is way to laggy, even the demo. it is not worth playing.

... Are you aware that that is a lot more likely to be caused by your pc rather than the game itself? Your pc might not be powerful enough to sufficiently run WolfQuest; both suggested/minimum requirements and partly the demo as well are provided so people can check.

^ For anyone wondering, you can find the system requirements for both 2.5 and 2.7 here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34821
It may be helpful for you to check out your computer's specs to see if they fit the requirements, Spirit. In the meantime, and I mean this in the most polite, non-facetious way, I'd say you'd ought to speak for yourself - I feel for the people who can't access the game as I've experienced that frustration before, but it doesn't mean that the game is not worth getting for everybody.
deviantArt | Wolf Comic Reviews | WolfQuest Blog
The Beaver Theory
Lost River will never be the same.
Dorken
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby alexterri2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Well, my computer is about four years old now, and the demo wasn't very laggy for me [although there was a lot of noise coming out of my computer, indicating loading the game must be a lot of work for it, but it did the same thing with the old one]. Then again, according to my father, the graphics card and stuff on this computer was great when it came out, so maybe that's why?
alexterri2
Pup
Pup

Postby Flamesky » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:04 pm

I think so. The demo for 2.7 is a huge improvement from the previous version and I am planning on buying the full game.
<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
Right now

Even if you take me on
I'll stand the lonely
Stand the lonely
<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Postby Azuris » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:09 pm

I bought the game and i love it! New and improved graphics and such, no glitches but it lags some times... This game is worth buying for! :D
(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ʌȥυяɪʂ¸.´¸.*¨)¸.*¨)

Δи Ɩ'ʌɛ вɛɛи ωяσиɢ, Ɩ'ʌɛ вɛɛи σωи
βɛɛи тσ тнɛ вσттσм σғ ɛʌɛяʏ вσттɛ
Ƭнɛƨɛ ғιʌɛ ωσяƨ ιи мʏ нɛα
Ƨcяɛαм "Δяɛ ωɛ нαʌιиɢ ғʋи ʏɛт?"

Avvie/Sig©by:Azuris

Avvie shop
Azuris
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Location: Iɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴡᴀʀᴅʀᴏʙᴇ ᴄ: ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴘᴏssɪʙʟʏ sᴛᴇᴀʟɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴄᴏᴏᴋɪᴇᴢ

Postby SolitaryHowl » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:43 pm

alexterri2 wrote:Well, my computer is about four years old now, and the demo wasn't very laggy for me [although there was a lot of noise coming out of my computer, indicating loading the game must be a lot of work for it, but it did the same thing with the old one]. Then again, according to my father, the graphics card and stuff on this computer was great when it came out, so maybe that's why?

4 years old is quite old for a computer these days. Technology moves fast - my 2.5 year old computer already can't run (or can barely run) the newest games, and its straining a little when trying to run WQ 2.7.

Do you know your computer specs?

Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Turn to Page 394.
SolitaryHowl

Postby alexterri2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:43 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:
alexterri2 wrote:Well, my computer is about four years old now, and the demo wasn't very laggy for me [although there was a lot of noise coming out of my computer, indicating loading the game must be a lot of work for it, but it did the same thing with the old one]. Then again, according to my father, the graphics card and stuff on this computer was great when it came out, so maybe that's why?

4 years old is quite old for a computer these days. Technology moves fast - my 2.5 year old computer already can't run (or can barely run) the newest games, and its straining a little when trying to run WQ 2.7.

Do you know your computer specs?

No I don't

Yeah, I'm going to get a new computer next year lol

But like, my comp could run the demo fine, so I t will probably be able to run the new game? If it lags a ton I'll put it on a lower graphics quality
alexterri2
Pup
Pup

Postby War-thrush » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:25 pm

Just got it today! Def worth the $15 I have to pay in New Zealand.

I can now play multiplayer and I love all the coats and new map! Can't wait to explore more, and do the challenges/missons.
Good Morning
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you wish me a ⓖⓞⓞⓓ morning,
or mean it is a good morning whether I want it ⓞⓡ not;
□ ⓞⓡ that you f e e l good [̲̅t̲̅][̲̅h̲̅][̲̅i̲̅][̲̅s̲̅] m o r n i n g; ■
or that itisa morning to be [̲̅g̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅d̲̅] on?
□ ʇ n o q ɐ || u ʌ ǝ ɐ ɹ || n o ʎ ||ʇ ɐ ɥ ʍ ■
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxᵈᵉᵛᶦᵃᶰᵗᵃʳᵗxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Av/Sig ©Infinite/Kamaal
War-thrush
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby Pokemonz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:18 am

Once I have enough money to purchase this game, I am doing it. I am watching a let's play and it seems so worth it to me, you have no idea.
Pokemonz
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby dangerisback » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:34 pm

for me and for many people is not worth it. why? well, there is people who can't pay for their children studies and they have to pay for a game? really? this is stupid for me. like you are playing with kid's illusion. many people were waiting for this game for a long time a now they have to pay. the old version it's free, why not this version? there are much more priorities with money that paying for a game, and kids don't understand about this and it's so hard to their parents to have to say NO to those kids who were waiting for so long for this version.
Sometimes it's hard to do the right thing, when the pressure's coming down like lightning, it's like they want me to be perfect when they don't even know that I'm hurting. I'm not made out of steel, don't forget that I'm human, don't forget that I'm real. Act like you know me, but you never will.
dangerisback
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

PreviousNext

Return to General WolfQuest Discussion