Content support by
International Wolf Center logo
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
tumblr.
YouTube
Wikia / Fandom

Of Wolfy Sues & Character Casts: Take The Quizzes! (2 in 1!)

Post your original, realistic stories, poems, and other writings about being a wolf in Yellowstone National Park or other natural area. Please read the Rules for User Writings before posting on this forum.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
Read the Rules for User Writings before posting. If your post does not follow the rules, it may be locked or deleted, and you may receive a warning.

How did your character score on the Wolfy Sue Quiz?

Between 50 and 157
7%
Between 40 and 49
3%
Between 30 and 39
1%
Between 20 and 29
13%
Between 10 and 19
62%
Between 0 and 9
13%

Total votes : 90

Of Wolfy Sues & Character Casts: Take The Quizzes! (2 in 1!)

Postby Nordue » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:29 pm

How to Avoid Creating ‘Wolfy’ Sues: Take the Quiz!
Note: Permission from Koa was given to create this topic. The Creating A Well-Balanced Cast of Characters post and quiz created by _Castiel can be found on the second post of this topic!

What is a Wolfy Sue?
To understand what a Wolfy Sue is, we first have to examine what the more widely known Mary Sue is:

Wikipedia wrote:A Mary Sue in literary criticism … is a fictional character with overly idealized and cliched mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author or reader.
It is generally accepted as a character whose positive aspects overwhelm their other traits until they become one-dimensional.

The male version of a Mary Sue is known as a Gary Stu, among other names. Aside from gender, there is little difference between a Mary and Gary. Since we will most frequently come across wolf characters in User Writings, we will refer to these unfortunate characters as Wolfy Sues.

Why are Wolfy Sues a bad thing?
Well, for the most part they make your stories boring and predictable to read. The entire story, and in some cases, the rest of the characters actions revolve around the Wolfy Sue’s life. This will detract most readers from reading your stories, since the reader already has a good idea of what will happen later on!

How do I recognize a Wolfy Sue?
Wolfy Sues are common among amateur authors and even creep up among the better ones here on UW. I am no exception! They are an important part in the steady process of developing your writing skills, and we will all end up writing one or more in our lifetimes. So don’t feel bad about it, it’s all part of our learning curves!

You have probably come across them before… that character who
    • Has no apparent flaws or weaknesses
    • Always does the right thing in the end (rarely faults)
    • Has an overly tragic past (for example, both parents died in [insert natural disaster or animal attack here] and said character is the sole survivor
    • Often relates their actions to something that happened in his/her past
    • Has all the other characters in sympathy for them
    • Finds the perfect mate with little difficulty (wolves may be presented with factors that deter them from selecting the first wolf they see, such as age and gender)
    • Becomes the Dominant male/ femaleof their new family and ends up having a healthy litter of x pups with their perfect mate
    • Gets their own sequel story, again featuring that character’s life (or their pup's life, usualy the one that looks just like the Wolfy Sue parent)
    • Has a name that no other character in the story shares origin with, for unknown reasons
    • Has fur or eyes that get described extensively throughout the story, often using Wolfspeak
    • Most of the story is told from their point of view, sometimes using the word ‘I’. The other character’s P.O.Vs are used soley to benefit or justify the actions of the Wolfy Sue for unjustifiable/unknown reasons in terms of the story
    • Appears to have a consistent personality (ex. calm, quiet and polite), but in times of danger or trajedy, the character suddenly adopts a completely different personality (ex. bloodthirsty, cruel and murderous). A good example of this is Moon from BlueShineWolf's old DA webcomic Twilight Spirits. The pages can still be found scattered throuought her gallery.
      NOTE: My intention is not towards potential psychological issues a character may have. I am talking about when the author practically changes the entire physical or mental side of a character with no explanation as to why or how in order to make that character come out on top. This would be a cheat, not character development.

Uh oh… I’m pretty sure I wrote a Wolfy Sue!
Don’t worry, it’s never too late to change that character, or even that story if it’s still being created. Not everyone realises they’ve got a Sue on their hands, and sometimes you come to this conclusion after a story has already been completed.

In that case, it’s best to admit you made the mistake and learn from it for the future. Never give up! It’s not that hard to avoid creating Sues when you know what to look for, is it? Remember, you aren’t the only one!

I might have a Wolfy Sue… but I am not positive. How can I be sure?
The only person who knows for certain if your character is a Wolfy Sue is… you! Even if someone flat out tells you that you have a Sue character, they can be wrong. Some experienced writers even intentionally create Sues and use them skilfully to better their stories. Don’t ask me how though, I am not one of them^^’!

To help give a better explanation of what this is, Frodo1 has offered a helpful excerpt from the book Writing Young Adult Fiction For Dummies:
Stereotypes:
Stereotypes can be used to create an illusion; since these types of characters typically do exactly what a reader would expect them to do, making them do something completely unexpected can be a powerful writing tool.

There are many tests on the internet that you can take to get an idea of whether your character is a Sue or not. But in my travels, I have noticed that few are suited to animal characters and wolf characters in particular. They are mainly tailored to fanfiction and canon characters (not something you will find here), so I have made a Wolfy Sue test that you can take, right here on WQ! Keep reading to find out more.

I read this story another user wrote, and I think they have a Wolfy Sue character! How do I tell them this?
Keep in mind that telling someone who is far along in their story that their main character sounds like a Wolfy Sue can be very disheartening for the author. The last thing we want is for the person to quit posting their work in User Writings, right?

FACT: Some people create characters that represent themselves so that they can be a part of the story/ be the hero.

Pretend you did this for one of your stories. Imagine someone telling you that your main character, who represents you in personality, interests, fears, likes and dislikes, is a Wolfy Sue! I bet you would be offended, jealous even since this character is, essentially, you. In other words, you would probably take it as a personal attack on you, not jusy your character.

So if you do this intentionally and knowingly, by all means continue if that’s how you like to write. Just be aware that this form of personal writing entertainment is susceptible to Wolfy Sue-ness and criticism from readers. If you decide to post it, that is.

BASICALLY: Avoid putting yourself in the story and its characters in any way, shape or form.

If the person’s story is already well-along, its best to remain silent and wait it out. You never know, the author might realize what’s going on on their own and make the necessary changes. Worst case scenario, they discontinue their story and try again with new characters and a new storyline. Some people go through several retries at their stories before they clue in. Give them time to learn from their mistakes!

If, however you feel that the author can handle it (some love having their mistakes pointed out to them, like me), you can always point them to this topic and suggest they take the quiz or one of the countless other Mary Sue litmus tests on the internet. Articles and essays about Sues are also extremely helpful, and aided me as I wrote this. While some writers might admit to creating a Wolfy Sue, others might try to justify to you why their character is not a Wolfy Sue, and in that case it is up to you to decide, and move on silently. After all, you don’t have to read or comment on their work if you don’t want to! Actions sometimes speak louder than words. If their topics aren’t getting any replies, then that speaks for itself. You’re the reader; if you don’t like reading about characters you think are Sues, then don’t! If authors don’t want you to point out things like this about their work, then don’t!

OK, now I’m curious to test out one of my characters!
Awesome! Now you’re practically ready to take the Wolfy Sue Quiz! Before I go into detail, here is what you have to have going into the quiz:

Honesty. Be honest about your character, and don’t make exceptions for them. This test was designed to fit the standards of User Writings, so no excuses! You wan’t to know if you have a Sue so you can improve, don’t you?
A developed character. What I mean is that it’s best to use a character that was in a story you have already written, or is almost done. Characters you have floating around in your head for a story that isn't in text are not solid enough, as many things about them are not yet set in stone. This could bias the results greatly!
A calculator OR a pen and paper OR a word processing program. Just so you can track your score!
Time. This quiz will take you about 30 minutes to complete and calculate. There are a total of 22 questions on this test, with possible 150 points. Few Sue quizzes are as detailed and specific as this, so don’t rush it!

Got it? I think you’re ready to take the quiz now! Good luck, and remember that this is only a guideline. Your score is just a recommendation or standard, and I nor any other online test can actually determine if your character is a Wolfy Sue or not. But you knew that, right? If not, you might want to do some more research on Sues online.

The Wolfy Sue Quiz*
*Feel free to post any questions or suggestions you may have about how this quiz works!

Rules:
1. Answer each question (honestly) and note your score somewhere as you go. Feel free to take a break by marking your place.
2. The way the scoring works is that if you answer ‘yes’ to a question, you add that question’s value to your score count. Answer ‘no’, and simply move on to the next line/question without adding any value, like answering to a {0} question. By the end, you will have your final score.
3. When you have answered all the questions, see where your character’s score falls in the ranks below the quiz.
4. Have fun! Feel free to take the Quiz again and again with as many solid characters as you like.

Here's the actual test!

1. Was your character
    … the runt/smallest/weakest pup of its litter? {+1}
    …the strongest/biggest/most dominant pup of its litter? {+1}
    …the only pup to survive at birth? {+1}
    …the same age as you (in wolf years) for most of your story? {+1}
    …older than 5 years old for most of your story? {0}
    …the most talented pup of its litter (in anything)? {+1}
    …the same gender as you are in real life? {+1}
    …exceptionally gifted/the very best in anything (a wolf prodigy)? {+2}
    …rather klutzy, but in an appealing sort of way (eg. Bella Swan from Twilight)? {+1}
    …the dominant female/male at any point? {+1}
    …considered beautiful or handsome by other characters? {+1}
    …a twin with another sibling? {+1}
    …(looks and/or personality-wise) based off of another, perhaps copyrighted character? (eg. A Shakesperian or Naruto-themed character?) {+2}
2. Is your character’s name
    …your username, or a part of your username? {+2}
    …your real name, or a different spelling/version of a common name (ex. instead of Shadow, Shadoe)? {+1}
    …Japanese? {+2}
    …a warrior cat name? {+1}
    …from a different origin than everyone else’s in the story? {+1}
    …named after a character from some other published story, video game or other media (eg. Larka from The Sight)? {+2}
    …mentioned in the title of your story, or does the title describe some aspect of your character? {+2}
3. Did your character’s parents die
    …a sacrificial death? {+1}
    …of starvation? {0}
    …of injury? {0}
    …a random freak accident (ex. falling down a cliff, drowning, a tree falling, being crushed by a rock, etc.) {+1}
    …in a natural disaster? {0}
    …of old age? {0}
    …in a dominance fight/border skirmish? {0}
4. Did your character’s siblings die
    …of starvation? {0}
    …of injury? {0}
    …by a predatory attack? {0}
    …a random freak accident (ex. falling down a cliff, drowning, a tree falling, being crushed by a rock, etc.) {+1}
    …of old age? {0}
5. Did your character’s mate die
    …of starvation? {0}
    …of injury? {0}
    …of old age? {0}
6. Was your character
    …the sole survivor of some tragedy (including being exiled/banished from a pack)? {+2}
    …the only survivor along with one significant other? (ex. your character and your character’s mate, parent or sibling) {+1}
    …one of many survivors? {0}
    …always suffering over some terrible event from their past? {+2}
7. Does your character have
    …solid white or black fur? {+1}
    …amber eyes? {0}
    …green eyes? {+1}
    …orange eyes? {0}
    …yellow eyes? {0}
    …brown eyes? {0}
    …gray eyes? {+1}
    …eyes of a different color (not including blue eyes)? {+2}
    …an eye color you never specified once in your story? {0}
    …an exceptionally pitched or musical howl? {+1}
    …a mate that is your personal (favourite) choice? {+1}
    …an accent in their speech (eg. Australian, British, etc.) that no other character has? {+1}
8. Have you ever used any of the following words to describe a physical aspect of your character**
    …silky? {+1}
    …luscious? {+1}
    …shiny? {+1}
    ….gleaming? {+1}
    …inky? {+1}
    …jet black? {+1}
    …gorgeous? {+1}
    …fem? {+1}
    …fae? {+1}
    …vixen? {+1}
    …brute? {+1}
    …stag? {+1}
    …dial? {+1}
    …cranium? {+1}
    …orbs? {+1}
    …pools? {+1}
    …pillars? {+1}
    …pistons? {+1}
    …talons? {+1}
    …daggers? {+1}
    …banner? {+1}
    …spheres? {+1}
    …ivories? {+1}
    …bodice? {+1}
** Many of these words are considered ‘Wolfspeak’; words often unknowingly used in the wrong context by role-players and writers in an effort to make their text sound fancy and intelligent. Avoid using these words in the future: you’re embarrassing yourself with them!

9. Did your character die
    …a sacrificial death (eg. Fending off a predator)? {+2}
    …of starvation? {0}
    …of injury? {0}
    …a random freak accident (ex. falling down a cliff, a tree falling, drowning, being crushed by a rock, etc.) {+2}
    …of old age? {0}
    …hunting? {0}
    …not at all? {0}
    …almost, but survived just barely? {+2}
10. Have you (the author) ever dedicated one or more paragraphs solely to describing the look of your character, or how other characters thought of your character? {+2}

11. Did your character
    …find and become mates with the first dispersal of the opposite gender they met? {+1}
    …never find a mate? {0}
    …never disperse from its natal pack? {0}
    …have any unrelated wolves in its dispersal pack, aside from its mate and its young? {+1}
12. (Only answer this question if you (the author) accepted characters from other users). For your story, did
    …you create your characters mate (if one)? {+1}
    …another user create your characters mate? {0}
    …you tweak the character another user created for you to fit the plot better? {+2}
13. Did the events (plot) of the story your character was in
    …center around the life or adventures of your character (please, be honest)? {+2}
    …center around more than one character? {0}
    …feature no wolf(s) in particular? {0}
14. When your character encountered a stranger wolf, they would most likely
    …react with aggression and try to stand their ground {0}
    …try to dominate the wolf, and then try to get them to join their pack {+1}
    …attempt to kill the stranger {+1}
    …submit to the stranger {0}
    …flee from the stranger {0}
    …be friendly and passive to the stranger, but not overly submissive either (a.k.a, polite) {+1}
15. Did you (the author) ever write about your character
    …peeing or defecating? {0}
    …scent rolling? {0}
    …howling when the moon was out? {+1}
    …licking its groin area? {0}
    …grooming its fur? {+1}
    …picking off a flea or tick? {0}
    …rubbing against a tree or rock? {0}
    …crushing another wolf's throat/wind pipe in a 'killing bite'? {+2}
16. Would you (the author) say that your character easily convinced other characters about your character’s opinions, as part of their personality and general wisdom? {+1}

17. Have you (the author) ever used this character in another related or unrelated story on or off UW (including sequels and prequels)? {+2}

18. Was your character’s story told in the character’s point of view (1rst person)
    …the whole time? {+2}
    … sometimes, other times from other characters P.O.Vs? {+1}
    …never? {0}
19. In the last hunt or fight you (the author) wrote about in your character’s story, your character
    …was absent from the hunt/fight for whatever reason {0}
    …delivered the final killing blow {+2}
    …became injured and had to stop {0}
    …called off the hunt/fight for peace reasons {+1}
    …ran away from the hunt/fight {0}
    …participated equally with other packmates {0}
    …strategized/created the final plan {+1}
    …never came across a hunting/fighting situation in the story {0}
    …was defeated brutally (if a fight){+2}
20. Did your character’s pups
    …all survive to dispersal age? {+1}
    …have only some survive to dispersal age? {0}
    …have none survive to dispersal age? {+1}
    …never exist/unknown? {0}
21. (Answer only if your character has pups). If your character had pups, did one or more
    …have the same fur patterns and colors as your character? {+1}
    …have the same fur patterns and colors as your mate? {+1}
    …a distinct blend of both parents' personalities and physical characteristics? {+2}
    …have a very similar personality to your character? {+1}
22. Is your character your current WolfQuest avatar? {+1}

The Scoring Table!

Between 50 and 157
Geez, either you were cheating this test or you have some critical-level Sue-ness going on! I recommend either retaking this test the proper way or to stop wasting your time here and focus on writing a whole new story, with new characters and a plot that doesn’t revolve around you—a.k.a your Wolfy Sue! Scrap Moony or ShadowFace or whatever their name is immediately; trust me, your readers will thank you for it.

Between 40 and 49
There’s no softer way to put it: you’ve got a Wolfy Sue. Yep, take it in superstar. You knew it 20 questions into this test. So why did no one say anything before? They probably didn’t know any better. Did you? That's quite possible. Heed this experience and learn. Or did all that User Writings ‘fame’ go to your head as you kept on writing about the random heroics of __? Start howling randomly to the midnight moon or jump off a cliff or whatever your self-insert would do in times of great pain. Just don’t do it again in your posted works, OK? Practice makes perfect.

Between 30 and 39
Oooh, aren’t you just crossing the line with this one! Haha, I bet that was not a good surprise for ya. I assume you were aware of the almighty Sue, and tried hard to avoid such a written monstrosity. I guess you tried too hard, because some Sue-like traits managed to worm themselves into your character anyway. Your readers were OK with it though; other aspects of your writing made up for your hopelessly cliché characters. Either that, or they loved you too much to speak out. Ah well, you should go over your story and make some good, honest tweaks. Learn from your mistakes, or try something new. I promise you will do better the next time round! Just leave your username out of it, OK?

Between 20 and 29
Meh. Could be a Sue, could not be a Sue. It could go either way, depending on the reader’s opinion. Characters like this are by no means safe from becoming Wolfy Sues, but the author can have the peace of mind knowing that they have an interesting character who is flexible enough to fix without going farther back into the story to trying and fix a bunch of things. There is still room for improvement next time round, but rest assured you didn’t dive too deeply into the dark abyss that is the dreaded Wolfy Sue. Just try not to make Silver or Bear too awesomely balanced, OK? And really, she/he doesn’t need that sequel. We want something new!

Between 10 and 19
Impressive! Here lies an exemplary character we should all strive to write. Such a character is balanced and interesting, with flaws and no apparent superiority over the other characters. Dreary back-stories and one-sided P.O.Vs are rare, and the reader gets to know a bunch of characters, not just two mates and their claptrap band of predictably pointless tag-alongs or user-given characters. At least I hope not, or my system is seriously flawed. Seriously. But don’t get cocky now: you can still improve from here. Although your doing just fine at the moment.

Between 0 and 9
Alright, cut the shenanigans right here you rascal. Either you are a living, breathing Mary/Gary Sue/Stu who is too arrogant to admit that all they can make are 30-50 Wolfy Sue characters, or you are just reading through all of the rankings to see how you could have done. The latter is fine, go for it :P. But really, if you actually scored in this range, I think you better take this test again with another character to check and see if you have something. Your character is rather boring, almost lifeless. Perhaps it shouldn’t even be called a character, as it is something less than that for lack of substance. Ouch. Your character is like… the opposite of a Wolfy Sue. A Dim-Wit Dora, perhaps… but that is another article, for another time :wink: . Don't be afarid to spice it up, OK?

And until then, thank you for taking the time to read this topic and take the quiz! Upon completing the test, one should take a look at this, as a reward: http://images.encyclopediadramatica.ch/2/26/Marysue.jpg. Feel free to post your comments, critique or suggestions! Discussion is also welcome, as long as it relates to Wolfy Sues you or someone else has written. But don’t be too specific when it comes to the characters of others here in User Writings, mkay :wink: ?

Thank you, happy writing

Tonbei

Other Online Mary Sue Litmus Tests*
* A thank you to Mikazuki-Lynx for suggesting to add other test links!

Please note that the links below will take you to other free online Mary Sue tests and quizzes that are designed for a wide range of character types. These types include human characters, as well as fan-fiction or role-play type characters. The results you get in each test will vary from one another. Remember, each test is scored and laid out differently, so you will get different results from each test! What you make of it is up to you. Enjoy!

For Non-Animal Original Fiction Characters
http://www.ponylandpress.com/ms-test.html
A Test For All Types
http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm
An Animal/Furry/Anthro-oriented Test
http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=mary-suegary-stu-test-animal-furry-characters
Author’s Choice:
http://www.katfeete.net/writing/marysue.html
Last edited by Nordue on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Nordue

Re: How To Avoid Creating Wolfy Sues: Take The Quiz!

Postby Castiel_ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Creating a Well Balanced Cast

In a well balanced cast of characters, it is important to have a range of character types. The main character should be almost perfectly balanced in it's positive and negative traits. The important secondary characters should be well balanced, and minor background characters can be in the extremes. Avoid any extremes for main characters though.

So what is well balanced?
A well balanced character is a character that has both equal and believable positive and negative traits. Both personality and physically. Obviously, a character should reflect it's role. So, an evil character is obviously going to have more bad than good traits, and a peace loving character is going to have more good than bad. But every character must have a bit of both unless they play a minor role. After-all, a pure evil or pure good character isn't exactly "fun." Get's boring after a while.

Main Characters vs. Secondary vs. Supporting.

The main character is just what you think it is. The main character. The story revolves around this set of or this particular character, and hardly ever changes views. This character should have distinct traits, and be unique from the others to really make them stand out. However, this character should have a very equal amount of both good and bad traits. No character is perfect after-all. You wouldn't want to create mary-sue character now would you?

The secondary characters are usually your characters that play a medium part in the story. They pop up every so often stay around a tad longer than others. Sometimes they are killed off in stories, but other times they do stick around the whole time. You just don't see them every where. They are basically your side-kicks or enemies of the main character. These characters should have slightly less distinct traits, and can border between perfectly balanced, and well balanced. Some may a tad bit more bad, and some may be a tad bit more good than most characters.

A supporting character is a character that usually appears only once or twice for only a small event or a few sentences at most. They play no major role in the story, and don't effect the main or secondary characters in major ways. These characters can be in the extremes, as long as said extreme's don't bring them to a large amount of attention.

I think my main or secondary character is in the extremes, what do I do?
First, I recommend taking the Wolfy Sue Quiz up above this post just to double check. If your character ends up being a tad bit extreme, do not hesitate to alter it. Characters always have room for improvement!

The Quiz

Take this quiz for each character in your cast. Yes, even supporting cast! Each trait, if applicable to your character, is +1.

Positive Traits

- Responsible/Reliable.
    - Kind.
    - Moral.
    - Strong (Physically).
    - Mature/Wise.
    - Leader/Dominate.
    - Brave.
    - Book Smart.
    - Street Smart.
    - Attractive (Physically).
    - Charisma/Charm.
    - Can Maintain Relationships.
    - Talented.
    - Prolific (Go-Getter).
    - Confident.

Negative Traits

- Angry, Mean, Short Temper.
    - Violent/Aggressive.
    - Totally Immoral.
    - Weak (Physically).
    - Emotionally Unstable.
    - Ignorant, Unwise, Naive.
    - Stupid (Book smarts).
    - Ugly (Physically).
    - No Charm, No Charisma.
    - Lazy.
    - Useless (Skill-wise).
    - Needy/Helpless.
    - No Street smarts.
    - Submissive/Too Compliant.
    - Cowardly.

Now, Subtract. Good traits minus bad traits.

-10 to -15 : Too Weak
-6 to -10 : Weak Character
-1 to -5 : Well Balanced
0 : Perfectly Balanced
1 to 5 : Well Balanced
6 to 10 : Strong Character
10 to 15 : Too Strong.

It is okay to have a "Too Weak" character, because it gives them room to develop and grow, but try to avoid "Too Strong" characters, because they become flat, static, and boring.

Vocabulary

Moral -
Adjective : Concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.
Noun : A lesson, esp. one concerning what is right or prudent, that can be derived from a story, a piece of information, or an experience.
Opposite : Immoral. Not knowing the difference between right and wrong.

Charisma -
1. Compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.
2. A divinely conferred power or talent.

Prolific -
(of a plant, animal, or person) Producing much fruit or foliage or many offspring.
(of an artist, author, or composer) Producing many works.

Referenced Meme : http://fyuvix.deviantart.com/art/Character-Balance-Meme-154832353
All information on that meme has been paraphrased, and I give full credit to the original author.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 15 times in total.
#AllIDoIsBean
Castiel_
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby portia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:54 am

An impressive guide indeed, Tsacrevo! A lot of thought and detail has been put into it which is quite admirable - excellent job!

I myself am always paranoid about creating a 'Wolfy Sue'/'Mary Sue' as I try to steer away from cliches but always seem to find myself writing one, so I was obviously relieved when 'Analyn' scored in the 10-19 range. I guess I'll have to use this for a few more characters too ^^'

Thanks for posting this, I'm sure it'll be a great help!
________Ͽ.Լ ᴀ ᴅ ʏ || Լ ᴜ ᴄ ɪ ғ ᴇ ʀ Ͼ
__......._.http://nymah-rose.deviantart.com
____.───────────────────────
__________Is ɪᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
__________ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪs ᴋɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ?
____.───────────────────────
__._.______.___Av©Jewelz
portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Postby horseg27 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:05 am

This is a great idea and is sure to help out anybody willing to take the time to read this. (It pointed out a few things to me.) Thanks Overcast!
One of my characters I thought at the beginning, that she might actually be a Mary Sue, she did score in the 20-29 range but from now on I'll be keeping an eye on making sure she doesn't stay like that. Another character scored within the 10-19 but I'll be making sure when I write that one too does not go the Mary way.
Thanks for doing this!
horseg27
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Location: Roaming with my packs. That's all I know, maybe you could ask them.

Postby Overcast » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:24 am

portia wrote:An impressive guide indeed, Tsacrevo! A lot of thought and detail has been put into it which is quite admirable - excellent job!

I myself am always paranoid about creating a 'Wolfy Sue'/'Mary Sue' as I try to steer away from cliches but always seem to find myself writing one, so I was obviously relieved when 'Analyn' scored in the 10-19 range. I guess I'll have to use this for a few more characters too ^^'

Thanks for posting this, I'm sure it'll be a great help!

Hey, first commentor Portia^^! True, this took me a couple weeks to finalize. Whew, I was so relieved when I finished! Congrats on your score, I am glad to hear she did fine. Not that she was in much danger of Sueness, though! Yep, use it again and again if you want to! Curious, how long did it take you? Did it actually take a half hour?

horseg27 wrote:This is a great idea and is sure to help out anybody willing to take the time to read this. (It pointed out a few things to me.) Thanks Overcast!
One of my characters I thought at the beginning, that she might actually be a Mary Sue, she did score in the 20-29 range but from now on I'll be keeping an eye on making sure she doesn't stay like that. Another character scored within the 10-19 but I'll be making sure when I write that one too does not go the Mary way.
Thanks for doing this!

Thanks and your definitely welcome; I respect your honsety Horseg27. You appear to be on the right track with your characters! If you scored in the low 20s, thats just as good as the high 10s. I had to divide the ranks somewhere, right^^'?

I forgot to add a poll last night, so stay tuned for that!
Overcast

Postby Angelion Blackfire » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:34 am

Someone should sticky(?) this. c;

And I think I saw this once on dA, but I'm not sure... xD Wish I had the time to do the quiz but I'll have to come back later...eh... e.e
Angelion Blackfire

Name: V.

Postby Overcast » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:10 am

Noctis Lucis Caelum wrote:Someone should sticky(?) this. c;

And I think I saw this once on dA, but I'm not sure... xD Wish I had the time to do the quiz but I'll have to come back later...eh... e.e

I was thinking about that too, but I decided to wait and see what the mods thought :P.

Yeah, I have came across much talk, tests and essays about Sues all over the internet, including DA. I thought it would be neat to introduce the concept to the people of WQ too.

I typed 'wolfy sue' into Google, and nothing realavent came up. I was surprised, I thought someone would have concieved that term long before this! It is the internets, after all.
Overcast

Postby Swifty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:49 am

Wow! This is great Overcast! Glad my character Swifty (oops, I used her name for my username :oops: ) made it into the 10-19 range (I scored 18). I'll have to go over it again later to finalize my score, thanks for making this! But I have one suggestion, under question #4 Did Your Character's Siblings Die... eaten by a predator might be a good addition. :wink:

Edit:
Never mind, I actually got 22 :(
Last edited by Swifty on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of ~My Voice~ and ∞Distant Calling∞
Link: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=40094

You can now find me here: www.wildtale.deviantart.com

Epicly awesome avvie by Lupinzpack!
Swifty
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Postby Koa » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:17 pm

This is just amazing. Seriously.

Hopefully people will read this - and take the quiz, because so many stories on here start out with pup prodigies and etc. or everyone dies in a fire. No offense meant, but you know, sometimes the dramatics and common plots can get a bit old. ^^;

I want to sticky this, but there are a ton of stickies already in this board. I'll think about it. :wink:

EDIT: Decided to sticky this.
BOJACK

The crickets are chirping,
and the lake is still,
and the night is full of stars.
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Postby Maia Huntress » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:36 pm

What a great idea, Over! Thanks for making this; I'm sure it'll be really helpful for everyone to try!^^

Well, Maia came out with exactly 20. (If only I wasn't wearing this avvie! xD) So...she's either a small Mary Sue, or she isn't one at all. Honestly, I think she probably is, especially in the beginning of the story, (I was so inexperienced back then!) but I'm not sure...no one who was reading the story ever told me she was a Wolfy Sue. xP

...On the plus side, my MC from another story got a 6. :D

...Of course, that might be because I've only written two chapters on him, and I only have a rough idea of his past. XD
Maia Huntress
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Postby Swifty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Hey Overcast! Do you think it would be possible to create a character rescue form to save characters from becoming Wolfy Sues? You know, some form for people to use on characters that haven't been set in stone yet to help make them more developed characters? Just a thought.

Swifty
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Postby Khisa » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:07 pm

This is amazing Overcast =D! I'm rather horrid with making up unique/interesting characters, so this is definitely helpful for me ^-^. I haven't had the time to take the quiz on some of my characters yet, but I definitely will. Great job!
av by jewelz
Khisa
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Postby Freedom Run » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:06 pm

This is an amazing idea, Overcast! I'm sure this quiz will help many writers fix any 'Wolfy Sue' characters they happen to create (and I'm sure I will be one of those writers in the not too distant future).

My character, Sonas, recieved a 14, right in the middle of the 10-19 range. I will definitely use this quiz for other characters that I create.

Thanks for posting this! :mrgreen:
~FREEDOM RUN~
Freedom Run
Pup
Pup

Postby Rye » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:50 pm

I got the score of 11 for my character Arlynn. Woohoo! ...over-excitedness is kicking in. :mrgreen: This is a great idea, Overcast! I shall do this for each and every character from now on.
Rye
WQ Veteran
WQ Veteran

Postby Swifty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:23 am

Question, I know that I've posted here 3 times already, but in question #4 do you count younger siblings too? Or just litter siblings?

Swifty
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Next

Return to User Writings